2003 Protege Vibration Under Driver's Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Protege Vibration Under Driver's Side

Mechanic checked this out and tells me it's not the wheels, axle, or bearings, and won't open up automatic trans unless I am ready to fork out plenty-o-cash for the anticipated "repairs". Fairly new tires, re-balanced about a month ago and rotated. Vibration started before rotation, but it was on the passenger side before it transferred over to the driver's side after the rotation. If there's a problem with the wheel(s), shouldn't he have caught it when he balanced the tires? It's speed-dependent: Steering wheel doesn't vibrate & vibration starts around 35 mph and gets pretty loud up to 45 mph, then diminishes above 55 mph. (Also somewhat time-dependent, doesn't become noticeable until I've been driving the car for at least 20 minutes.) Otherwise the car runs well and the gears don't feel like they are slipping.

It honestly sounds like you have a bad tire. I would guess some of the belts have broken internally. Take a look at all of the tires and make sure there aren't any bulges anywhere, especially the sidewall. It is also possible the tech royally screwed up the balance. You didn't mention getting an alignment, but I doubt that's most - all of your problem. It really sounds like a tire/wheel issue. Granted, the tech *should* have caught the issue, but sometimes these things like to hide themselves. I'd yank off both driver's side wheels and give them a thorough once over. Look for: bulges anywhere in the tire, any abnormality in the wheels, any evidence a wheel weight has fallen off, and excessive weight, meaning a lot of little weights or two or three large ones (if they're the kind that are pressed on the rim lip) or a long strip of stick on weights. If all of that checks out, take the car somewhere else and get them road-force balanced.
    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Also: mod might want to move this to the appropriate section.
      1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

OK, thanks for the info... I will have a new tech check out the wheels and tires as recommended.

Comment

Working...
        X