2000 DX with a strange issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 DX with a strange issue

About two weeks ago I bought a 2000 Protege DX to use as a beater. It's in decent shape and runs good and the ac works great. It has the 1.6 and a 5 speed with 229k on it. Here's the issue. When it's driven say at least 10 miles+ if stop somewhere and shut the engine off it won't restart for about thirty minutes. Other than this quirk it's a keeper. I called a local dealer and of course they won't tell you anything on the phone. Want it to be brought in and hooked up to their diagnostic equipment to the tune of 100 dollars. Don't want to go that route, only to have them guess at the problem and throw expensive parts at it. Currently no check engine light. Thanks for any help!

I would look into changing the coolant temperature sensor. Its like a 10 dollar sensor.
    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
    "Who Dey"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. My only experience with the CTS was on another beater I used to own. It was a '91 S-10 with the 2.8 V6. It was the opposite problem, ran poor at cold start up. But after reading your post I searched a few sites on the internet and the CTS can also cause problems starting when the engine is warm. So a trip to my local parts store is in order. I'll report back after I install the part.

Comment

Well, changed the coolant temp sensor, 25.99 + tax at Advance Auto. Also since I had to drain the coolant down decided to get rid of a couple of partial jugs of anti-freeze, so I did a drain and fill while I was at it. Drove it about forty miles at interstate speed, got home, waited about five minutes and then checked to see if it would start. It started, took longer than a normal start should, but at least it started. Which is more than it would have previously done. However, clearly there is something else going on with the vehicle. About a mile from my exit it bucked twice. I bought this car as a second vehicle, just to use as a knock around car. It may serve that purpose, just as long as it's not driven far or in stop and go traffic. Only had it two weeks, I may decide to sell it once I get the title back in my name.

But thank you very much for your suggestion. I'd say it worked.

Comment

If you haven't done a complete tune up then do so now. I would have changed all the coolant hoses and thermostat when you changed the radiator fluid.

You can also clean the Idle Air control valve.

Comment

If I knew what the exact problem was and the fix would be reasonably priced, I'd probably go that route. But since I don't know what exactly the problem(s) might be there is no logic in throwing parts at the vehicle in hopes that one of them will be the right one. Guessing gets expensive. I'd rather sell/trade it and get something more trustworthy, even if that means a more expensive vehicle.

Comment

Hello you should check your camshaft sensor and see if its warm. If you put ice on top of it it should start right up

Comment

Working...
              X