Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1999 ES 1.8.....ticking noise in intake manifold....valve guides broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 ES 1.8.....ticking noise in intake manifold....valve guides broken?

Hey there. Have had this since 127k miles....now currently 186k. Have always used synthetic oil with a good filter (Bosch).

However, i notice at light throttle openings and above 3500rpms it is making a noise like a lifter or intake valve guide is possibly broken.

Anyone have any experience? I have an OBDII ELM with Torque Pro....I get a P0420 code occasionally but my front and rear o2 sensor voltages look to be good (Wave function between 0.1 and 0.9 volts for both).

Again, under full throttle.....no knock until 3500rpm+. Power is good...milege really hasn't fallen off too much either.

I know an EGR valve can make a noise like this, but the car idles perfectly.

Thanks!

there was a MAJOR recall because of screws falling out of the intake manifold & the butterflies inside the intake manifold falling out....
    I HIGHLY encourage you to pull the intake manifold off ASAP & double check things are still okay.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

That recall was for 2003 MY with the 2.0. I cannot find any recall pertaining to the 1.8 on earlier models.

Also, if it was an intake screw falling loose, im sure it would have grenaded the motor by now (I've put approximately 800+ miles on it since this started, with all of them at highway speeds at 4000rpm).

Comment

dont say i didn't warn you.....
        & no your motor wont necessarily grenade.... i had 3 screws go through my last motor...... & it ran for 276k miles..... oil pump finally bit the bucket & caused its demise.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Jeez....3 screws and 276k miles? I won't worry about it then. Sounds like I can get another 90k out of mine.

Comment

its worth the time to prevent it damaging the motor if at all possible. i still suggest taking a look

Comment

Working...
            X