2002 Protege Intermittent No Crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 Protege Intermittent No Crank

My daughter's 2002 has refused to start or even crank twice now over a couple of months.

The first time several weeks ago she turned the key and nothing. I was home and went out and it started after moving the shifter to neutral.

Today the same thing happened. Shifting to neutral did nothing. Turning the key I get a click from the back side of the engine, which I assume is the starter solenoid, but no start.

I cleaned both battery terminals and tightened the clamps. I removed the ground at the top of the shock tower and cleaned all contacts. No change.

I had her come out and turn the key so I could listen to the under hood click and that's when I discovered that it was coming from the back of the engine. While she was turning the key, it started. It then started two more times in a row.

I'm thinking either a bad starter or a bad engine ground, perhaps? Either the starter is failing or there isn't enough current getting to the starter some times.

Thoughts?
    salguod
    2015 Accord Hybrid - Gray, Wife's car
    2005 Mazda3 - Sunlight Silver, 5 door, daughter's car
    2003 Protege LX - Black, daughter's car
    2002 Protege - White, daughter's car
    2002 325Ci - Blue, mine
    1960 Thunderbird Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather, 17" Boyd Junkyard Dogs[/SIZE]

Ok, two more questions:

1 - Where is the engine ground? There's a wire from the negative battery terminal that drops don behind and under the battery. It seems to enter a harness to the engine, but I can't see where it grounds on the engine. I'd like to clean that connection.

2 - I'm suspicious that the battery connections have been changed. They don't look factory and they are fairly corroded. I've attached a picture of the battery, are these the factory cable ends? The thought of changing those, or worse, the entire cable does not sound fun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190808_202133.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	1245793
    salguod
    2002 325Ci - Blue, mine
    1960 Thunderbird Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather, 17" Boyd Junkyard Dogs[/SIZE]

Comment

there is a fuse box near the battery that has issues known to cause a variety of issues. play with the relays in there. and look at buying a new starter
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Based on the very intermittent nature of the problem and the very corroded aftermarket battery cable ends, I decided to pull those apart and clean them as a first step. Time will tell if that fixes the problem.
        salguod
        2002 325Ci - Blue, mine

Comment

did you clean the spade terminal on the starter??? if your battery terminals were corroded i can almost guarantee that is as well. good chance theres your issue.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I did not, but take a look at the image above. The car has replacement clamp on cable ends. The clamp on area was full of corrosion. I cleaned this up. There wasn't much corrosion at the actual battery terminal.
            salguod
            2002 325Ci - Blue, mine

Comment

You can get splice in cable replacement kits that replace the last foot or so of the cable. I've had to do this on three different cars once they hit this age range. Corrosion had crawled down the inside of that ground cable. Cut it off, splice it in, good to go. Just don't cut more cable than the kit is giving you.
              2002 Protege DX, 1974 VW Standard Beetle

Comment

Working...
              X