No announcement yet.

Warped rotors??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi...Wow, I read their website about what they do for a brake job and personally see nothing wrong with re-manufactured stuff myself and with a 25,000 mile warranty, I believe you're getting a pretty fair deal...20.35 for another rotor sounds reasonable [I just tend to fix only what is necessary...being a "shadetree mechanic" and all] So $234 + 20.35 [for the second rotor] and maybe a little more for extra labor isn't bad at all. I wouldn't in any way put down the high performance stuff but I'm sure a chain store like the one you're looking into wouldn't sell crap because of the liablity of something like brakes...Spending extra money on something like this is a matter of personal taste...another way to look at it is money saved on the brake job could be get you nicer rims and tires. Please get a third opinion if possible because me and Pigeon represent both ends of the mechanical spectrum...the fixer-upper vs the high performance guy [with no disrespect to you Mr Pigeon]. All I'm interested in is seeing that a woman isn't taken advantage of [mechanically, so to speak]...Dammit where's Jho, he's usually all over this site and generally has good advice...
    Last edited by Meltdownsky; 08-24-2006, 03:49 PM.
    If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

Originally posted by Meltdownsky
      Hi...Wow, I read their website about what they do for a brake job and personally see nothing wrong with re-manufactured stuff myself and with a 25,000 mile warranty, I believe you're getting a pretty fair deal...20.35 for another rotor sounds reasonable [I just tend to fix only what is necessary...being a "shadetree mechanic" and all] So $234 + 20.35 [for the second rotor] and maybe a little more for extra labor isn't bad at all. I wouldn't in any way put down the high performance stuff but I'm sure a chain store like the one you're looking into wouldn't sell crap because of the liablity of something like brakes...Spending extra money on something like this is a matter of personal taste...another way to look at it is money saved on the brake job could be get you nicer rims and tires. Please get a third opinion if possible because me and Pigeon represent both ends of the mechanical spectrum...the fixer-upper vs the high performance guy [with no disrespect to you Mr Pigeon]. All I'm interested in is seeing that a woman isn't taken advantage of [mechanically, so to speak]...Dammit where's Jho, he's usually all over this site and generally has good advice...

Thanks for the advice... I think i'll stop at another tire store today for another opinion... Bought the nicer rims and tires last night Should have them next week!

Comment

WAIT it's not $234+ anything... it's $234 straight! Including all parts and labor.

Comment

hotspot = when in reference to brakes. either a thin spot on rotor or inconsistancy in material cause it to not shed heat as well.
          mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

Originally posted by Janetsplanet
            WAIT it's not $234+ anything... it's $234 straight! Including all parts and labor.
            That'll be hard to beat...congrats on the rims and tires, post a photo [of the car] when you get'em on...
            If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

That'll be hard to beat...congrats on the rims and tires, post a photo [of the car] when you get'em on...
              You bet but i'm not 100% sure I'll like 17" rims. We'll see

Comment

Originally posted by Janetsplanet
                What should I ask for then?
                Just ask for a price on the 'OEM Equivalent' or 'Premium' stuff as well, to see what the price difference is. About the only thing you're getting for the extra money is longevity and durability. This is not saying that they are going to perform any different or that the discount stuff is going break or injure you... its just the higher end stuff will most likely last longer.

Also make him tell you the brands of what you're purchasing (to prevent him from charging you more for the discount stuff) and double check the reciept to ensure you're getting what you're paying for.

Just get a price quote though, and then use your discretion. Either way you'll be ok once you're not racing.

Comment

Hey, it wouldn't hurt...an educated consumer keeps 'em on their toes [and honest] it'll drive like new once you get all this done...

Comment

Hey, it wouldn't hurt...an educated consumer keeps 'em on their toes [and honest] it'll drive like new once you get all this done...

I love the reaction I get when people realize I know what i'm talking about.

I asked the guy for a quote to have the brakes done ... "Disk in the front, drum in the back". The guy got this dumb look on his face like he just fell in love with me for knowing what type of brakes I had.

Comment

Nothing will throw a guy off like a pretty girl talkin' cars...we're like a deer in headlights...

Comment

Nothing will throw a guy off like a pretty girl talkin' cars...we're like a deer in headlights...
                        Yeah so it seems!

Comment

Working...
                        X