Car Down(maybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Down(maybe)

while getting new tires this morning i checked the rotor's while the tire's were off and felt some grooves in the rotor's. I stopped by Advance and got some new Wearever Rotor's and Pads. Then i went to my bro-in-law's house cauz he has more tools and a floor jack to change it all out. Everything went good till i started driving home. I was driving down the road and started smelling something. I went back and pulled the wheel off and i had a blue rotor. I cooled it down and drove it up the road and back and it seemed fine. well i drove back to my mom's i checked it again and my rotor and wheel is hot. I talked to my bro-in-law and he said its probably a bad caliper and it could be on either side. so now i gotta leave my car sitting. gonna drive it a lil tomorrow. maybe its just the pads wearing in but i may have to leave it parked till i can get caliper's next friday when i get my tax return back. In the mean time i guess it back to driving my gas guzzling pickup for a couple days.
    Currently Own:
    2000 Mazda Protege 1.6L DOHC 5spd
    2003 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCab 2WD Auto 4.2L V6
    2004 Dodge Intrepid(wife's car)

Mod's on Protege: purchased(02/7/08)
    New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
    Blue Ground Lights, New Wire's, New Head Unit
    Subwoofer's(thinking)

well my problem is that i have a slide jammed on my bracket. and i can't buy just the bracket from advance. I'm gonna call around to some junkyard's tomorrow and see if i can find something that will work. its 65 for the caliper and 96 for the caliper with bracket why the hell can't they sell the bracket by itself. what years uses this brake system as mine? pull apart has nothing past a 96
    Currently Own:

New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
    Subwoofer's(thinking)

Comment

Got the slide pin out by getting it real hot with a impact. ordered new boots to replace the one that was missing and put new grease on the pin's and place them in. brakes work great now. I've took the wheel off so many times in the past couple days i'm tempted to write a How-To on changing pad's and rotor's. i know its common knowledge but some people have no clue. AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR PAD'S AND/OR ROTOR'S....REGREASE YOUR PINS AND REPLACE YOUR BOOT'S. it will save you a great big headache in the future
      oh and i got my 15 dollar k&n drop in replacement i got off ebay the other day and i'm about to put it in.
      Currently Own:

New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
      Subwoofer's(thinking)

Comment

i was a mechanic for awile and i hate when those sliders lock up. but good thing u got it all fixed
        2002 protege ES/ header/2.5" exhaust/ CAI/ mazda speed cams(FROM JDM protege)/tein lowering springs/AWR 95 durameter motor mounts/B&M short shifter/ revised mazdaspeed limited slip differential/ exedy clutch/ fidenza light weight flywheel/ tokico struts/awr adjustable sway bar endlinks/stock wheels painted black W:riken raptor tires.

Comment

yeah well i greased and replaced the boots on all 4 of them. and will do so every time i change out the pad's. small price to pay to avoid this crap happening to me again. and i wound up having to replace the coil pack last this past thursday
          Currently Own:

New Spark plugs

Coming soon:
          Subwoofer's(thinking)

Comment

Working...
          X