Innexpensive suspension kits for 3rd gen Proteges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Innexpensive suspension kits for 3rd gen Proteges

I used the word innexpensive as opposed to cheap because I'm looking for something durable more than innexpensive, but still within a student's budget. My shocks are going to sheisse schneller and I need replacement. I like the look and feel of "sportier" suspension (maybe even a 1"-1.5" drop) but don't need all out racing suspension. In other words, this is going to be a daily driven car and will never see the track. I just want something that'll handle aggressive corners with ease without giving me a pain in the back for going over crappy roads.

Also, this is the first time I'm going to attempt a suspension replacement myself. How would someone rate this kind of job, from 1 to 10 (1=easy, 10=suicidal, 0=a beer) and are there any particular special tools one might need for this job? I have a load of standard tools, but I don't have things like a press, or a spring compressor? I thought I heard that a while back from someone who did his. Also, an approxiamte time frame a noob might take to do this.

I'm also just learning new suspension ethymology, such as I didn't know coilovers were a springs-over-shocks kit, I didn't know struts=shocks=dampners, etc. A real noob I tell ya. Just to add to the noob-ness of the up-coming purchase/job, I'm not quite sure what price range is acceptable or expensive for suspension kits. I was browzing a few websites to get a feel for the later when I saw a "tunable suspension kit for 3rd gen Proteges" for $2,250 from AutoEXE. Holy jumping motherphucker. Is this what these kits cost or is this just ridiculously overpriced, or a bloody F1 kit? Anyway...

I know I'm asking alot

Thanks guys! Cheers!

James

P.S. The car in question is a 2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0

Welcome to CP.

For an overview of how to improve the 3rd Gen Protege suspension system, and the Mazda parts required to do it, check out:

For performance struts and springs, go to Racing Beat:

For trailing link kits, strut tower bars, and stabilizer bars, go to Anthony Woodford Racing:
    AWR Racing High performance products since 1995. AWR STORE SHOP NOW High performance aftermarket products AWR offers a wide variety of aftermarket engine mounts, suspension components, and much more. Browse the AWR Store to find what best suits your application. Incomparable custom prototyping No matter if the car is destined for show or track, AWR

To do extensive suspension work, you'll definitely need a FSM, a spring compressor, and air tools. I couldn't have done the work on my car without them.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Its not hard of a job. Maybe a 3-4 on your scale. The mazdaspeed protege came with tokico struts and eibach springs. You'll probably pay around 600 for both. Its about a 1 inch drop. Doesn't sound like much but you'll have good ride quality and better cornering capabilities without sacrificing not being able to go over speed bumps

Strut don't equal shocks. Struts have the spring and strut in one unit. Shocks were mounted by springs.

I did a cmplete spring/strut install within 2 hrs using no air tools but you definetly need a spring compressor. You can rent that for free at an autozone
      Last edited by Turpro; 11-16-2010, 04:35 AM.
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
      X