Front brake problem. Caliper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake problem. Caliper?

Alright first thread I've started but I got a real head scratcher . '99 protege es, just had a front wheel bearing, axle and hub replaced. About two weeks later I started getting brake squeaking noise only on that side. Because the wheel bearing was long over due to be fixed the hub wasn't even round anymore. Anyway, I thought well buy some new brake pads and rotors see if that stops the squeaking. If the hub was that bad my thinking was maybe the rotor was warpped to. So i changed rotors and pads now I have a grinding noise not just the squeaking. It looks like the caliper is grinding on the rotor(new rotor=thicker=grinding). could this caliper be bent because of the wheel bearing being so bad? How would this affect the caliper. I'm at a loss. Any thoughts would be great. Oh there is a small clucnk when I back up and apply the brakes too.

If there is a grinding noise, you might have a stuck caliper. I doubt highly that it's bent. If you bent the caliper, then you have more severe problems. Most likely the piston in the caliper isn't retracting when you let off the brake pedal, which is making the grinding noise. What I would try is taking both front calipers off, pushing the pistons in, then refitting them and driving the car. If you still hear a squeaking/squealing noise from one side, it's probably a stuck caliper. If that's the case, buy a new caliper.
    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

That was my thought but when I installed the new calipers the piston went in pretty easy when I Pushed it in with a c-clamp. I goung to dig in to it today and double check the piston. Already called about a new caliper, won't be able to get it for a few days.

Comment

Well took it part again and the caliper is holding up a little bit so that's going to be replaced but in the process I notice the rubber boot on the lower ball joint is ripped so that probably needs to be replaced to. I put the old rotor back on and it isn't scraping the caliper anymore, well not as much as the new one. The caliper had a very definite scrap mark on the bottom below the pad from the new rotor scraping against it. Would the bad lower ball joint cause that to to rub the caliper?

Comment

because of the excessive play in a ball joint, there might be an uneven load placed on the wheel, i dont know if that would cause the caliper to rub against the rotor.

was the the axle nut (locknut) replaced and torqued to spec? 174-235 ft lbs

Comment

When the bearing was replaced the axle was replaced because the axle nut sheared off the threads when they removed it, it has a new nut as well. The spline on the end of the axle were worn off too. I had a local shop do the wheel bearing work I would assume they tightened everything to specs.

Comment

if your caliper still sticks after a new one, brake hose. they collapse sometimes and dont let pressure back out to release the pads.
              sigpic
              ________
              '94 MX-3
              |229,000 miles and DEAD|

SOFA
              KING

SLOW

Comment

Caliper isn't sticking anymore. Called the shop that did the work on the bearing, axle & hub. Bringing it in tomorrow so the tech that worked on it can look at it. Said due to how bad the bearing was and how bad everything else was from it he thinks the spindle/knuckle might be bad for it to only be scraping on the bottom of the inside caliper. Today the caliper isn't hanging up either so we'll see what this guys says tomorrow. He told me atthe tome of the bearing repair that this was the worst he had ever seen as far as wheel bearing being bad. He said he was suprised the wheel didn't come off while driving. The splints on the end of the axle were completely ground off. Nice. What you drive around with a bad wheel bearing for 1 1/2 years?

Comment

Splines not splints...

Comment

Well the verdict is in... One of the new rotors was .002 thicker than the other and only on the outside circumference, the inside was to spec. Defective rotor. Even the tech I talked to said that he wouldn't have noticed it had he not measured it with a caliper. .002" how's that for tolerancing...

Comment

That was going to be my guess. I have never seen bad suspension parts cause the caliper to grind on the rotor. As for the caliper....if you have problems pushing the piston back in, then crack the bleeder and see if it goes in after that. If it DOES go back in, then your hose is bad, if it DOESN'T go back in, then its the caliper. If your going to replace the caliper, it may be a good idea to just replace the hose for good measure.

Comment

Got hose on order to with the caliper. With a '99 it's getting to find anything in stock that won't take a few days to get down here in S. Florida. Glad I don't have anything older...

Comment

Make friends with someone who works at a shop. Most parts are available and delivered within an hour from most warehouses in my area. Of course there are certain parts that may need to be next day if they have to get them from Philly or Jersey. No shipping charges and wholesale cost can not be beat.

Comment

Working...
                          X