Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New struts and swaybar

Hi, I have a 2001 Protege es 2.0

I need new struts as the OEM ones are shot (I'm surprised they lasted 260,000km without completely falling off).

I have considered 4 brands and I was wondering if anyone has any experience using them or could provide some feedback.

In order from least expensive to most expensive:

Sensen
    STAGG
    Monroe
    KYB
    Mazda OEM

Right now I am thinking about using the KYB struts as they are ~$55 each on-line compared to $120 from the dealership for OEM. I have also come across a brand called STAGG which seems to only be sold on eBay? Does anyone have any experience with STAGG struts.

I would also like to ask, Should I buy new KYB boots and strut mounts or will the old ones likely be ok?

I was also thinking of putting in a stabilizer bar just for kicks. Does anyone have any experience using these on this model of protege?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to CP.

I have not used any of the struts on your list. I currently have Tokico struts which are heavy duty, sport, suspension types used on the 2001 MP3 and the 2003 MSP (OEM for those two models), and also sold by Mazda as separate performance accessories for all 3rd Gen Proteges. These are excellent and I highly recommend them. They may still be available from Mazda or, if not, can be purchased from:

You can read about my installation at:

Your model already has stabilizer bars, factory installed. If you want to install heavier ones, the MP3/MSP kits from Mazda might still be available. To replace the rear bar requires a new rear crossmember which is included in the kit. Aftermarket bars are also available that do not require rear crossmember replacement. Again, consult my above CP reference for details.

Happy Motoring!
    Last edited by goldstar; 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

I installed KYB struts, boots and mounts on my daughters '99 ES. They do the job but there's nothing special about them. Plan on replacing the sway bar links as well. The OE struts were gone at 100K miles.

Comment

why not look into tokicos best bang for your buck. look at corksport.com their great there

Comment

Working...
        X