Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes Question

Morning (EST) ladies and gents,

I have a 99 pro dx and was wondering if I could explain some of the symptoms I'm experiencing in the hopes of better understanding what's going on. When I first start my car in the cool morning, brake pedal feels firm, pads stop quickly. I have ebc redstuff ceramic pads with ebc slotted and dimpled rotors in the front and generic drums in the back. However, as the brakes get used more and the car is used towards the middle of the day, the brake pedal has quite a bit of play to it and the pads don't stop as quick. I guess I could use the term my mechanic used, brake fade. Here's my question: Could this be a matter of temperature affecting my brake lines/master cylinder or is it because i shouldn't have these types of brakes on my car like my mechanic insists on reminding me? I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that my brake lines/master cylinder are probably still original factory parts and are old/worn out. You guys are more knowledgeable than I am, what do you guys think?

Thank you for your time,
    Alex

FYI: Had the car for 6 years, from my aunt having it since 99 and I've never had to replace/top up brake fluid or change brake lines. Not sure if this makes a difference.

well... its my personal opinion that good quality COATED stainless braided brake lines are an upgrade from factory (they will eliminate virtually all* of the pedal squish felt from rubber lines)

However, changing your brake fluid out for fresh fluid is ALWAYS reccomended. especially after age.

part of what you could be feeling is potentially based off pad compound. Brake pads act better @ different temperatures depending on compound/quality.
    it may be time to look into something other than EBC.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
      well... its my personal opinion that good quality COATED stainless braided brake lines are an upgrade from factory (they will eliminate virtually all* of the pedal squish felt from rubber lines)

However, changing your brake fluid out for fresh fluid is ALWAYS reccomended. especially after age.

part of what you could be feeling is potentially based off pad compound. Brake pads act better @ different temperatures depending on compound/quality.
      it may be time to look into something other than EBC.
      I picked ebc because they are used on tons of miata's in official races. I figured they would be a quality brand. Is there something wrong with them? Redstuff are considered a "super street" pad and the rotors are slotted and dimpled as to not alter the integrity of it like drilled holes. Any recommendations?

Comment

brake fade is usually caused by heat buildup. how hard are you actually driving the car during the day ? a large portion of your brake "feel" does come from the rears, you upgraded the fronts but done nothing at all for the rest of the system . flush out the lines with fresh fluid ( yes it does go bad) and re-shoe the rears and adjust them properly and you will see a significant difference

Comment

Working...
        X