Mazdaspeed swaybar set ordered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about swaybars

Hey guys Ive been reading these posts and Im wondering I have a 99 ES with Eibach Pro kit springs and KYB struts, Iwas planning on getting the AWR adj sway bar but after hearing about the rust problems Im leary, I live in NW Ohio and they use salt on the roads in the winter so rust is an issue..anyone have a suggestion on another brand or should I go with the non adj AWR, will the MazadaSpeed fit a 99? Thanks Nik

Comment

Originally posted by Zmanpro63
      Hey guys Ive been reading these posts and Im wondering I have a 99 ES with Eibach Pro kit springs and KYB struts, Iwas planning on getting the AWR adj sway bar but after hearing about the rust problems Im leary, I live in NW Ohio and they use salt on the roads in the winter so rust is an issue..anyone have a suggestion on another brand or should I go with the non adj AWR, will the MazadaSpeed fit a 99? Thanks Nik

I think they fixed the problem by annodizing everything black, screws and blocks. I don't know though, yet...
      "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
      2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

I'm knot sure about the MSP bar fitting a 99. They used the same suspension, but I think the stock swaybar mounting points on the rear subframe were changed in '01. However, somewhere I read a post that the MSP bar comes with a different rear subframe which would make that a moot point. I have a 19MM AWR bar and had trouble making it fit. I tried every possible combo, I.E. tabs up, tabs down, with the spacers/without, above the lateral links/below the links, and no matter what, the ends of the bar interfered with the rear lateral links as the suspension traveled it's range. I ended up cutting off the ends past the "stiff" setting tab for foolproof clearance, but then snapped off the stock endlink at the ball socket the 1st time I left my driveway. I am awaiting AWR's endlinks which are much better but way noisier (they squeak like hell being all metal). I have thought of cutting my stock bar's arms shorter, so they clear the rear lateral links throughout the range of motion, and welding on a tab (ala AWR's design) with several mounting holes for adjusting the stiffness. This would be stiffer than stock, but still not the same as MSP or AWR. Good luck.
        2002.5 DX Sedan, Garnet Red Mica, PIAA Headlights, Racing Beat MP3 springs, Tokico HP struts, Injen CAI, MSP axle-back exhaust, MSP S.T. brace, Mod-o-fied AWR 19MM rear bar, AWR end-links F/R, 16x7 alloys w/Paradas(street), 15x6 Miata OEM alloys w/Falken Azenis(Solo II STS), personalized plates "VTC FREE"
        I remember the days of racing when the the Drivers were Fat and the Tires were Skinny.

Comment

Yeah, you are right. When you order the MSP swaybars, it comes with a new rear subframe. I'll take pics and everything Saturday or so when I get it installed.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Hey, did you get the front end links from AWR too?

If so, you are going to want to run them about an inch shorter than the stock links to make sure you have enough thread in the link to hold it all together.

The backs are almost bottomed out.

Just so you know.
            "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

can you just order the rear bar alone..
              I can use the rear, but the front is way different
              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Here's an update on my swaybars. I'm too lazy to rewrite this but this is what I posted on my local car club forum:

ARGH. Today (well yesterday evening) Brandon M, Daniel, Travis, and I attempted to install my swaybar set.

The rear went in without a hitch. It was short and sweet.

THE FRONT. OMG. Dropping the subframe is almost impossible because the rear motor mount is connected to it and we couldn't break it free with an impact. So, we did manage to take out the subframe and mount the new one by squeezing it in there. That part went fine. But, we had to put everything back together. The exhaust had to have a new gasket put in place, thankfully Mazda included one. THe problem is it's in there crooked because we couldn't bang it in there correcty 2" from the ground. THEN when we were trying to put the A arms back on...there was one bolt that connects the A arm to the subframe. They wouldn't line up AT ALL. We spent almost two hours doing this over and over. We tried jacking up the A arm to line it up but nothing seemed to work.

Well, it's 2AM and my car's still at brandon's house. I pulled it out of his garage and tried driving it with the missing bolt and it pops like crazy. I wasn't going anywhere like that. I'm going to get it towed tomorrow , get the bolts put back in correctly, plus an alignment since I'm sure everything screwed up royally front and rear.

8 HOURS WORKING ON TWO FREAKING SWAYBARS.
                Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Woohoo got it fixed. I had it towed to a shop and let them put the bolts on, and I got an alignment too.

I have pictures of the install process here:

Also got my AWR endlinks in the mail today. Bah! I'll get them put in soon.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

very nice...
                    how's it drive??

did you get this for day to day or is it primarily for your autoXing?

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                    RB springs
                    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

It drives awesome. I was thinking there was going to be some understeer problems but no worries, it drives very very neutral. At the limit there's some slight oversteer but nothing crazy like my AWR bar + stock front swaybar. I am very satisfied with the way they perform. I'll be getting on the AWR endlinks sometime soon hopefully.

What did I buy them for? Both I guess. I like to take corners pretty fast on the street, albeit when there's no pedestrians everywhere, lol, but I'm sure they will make the car more competitive at the autox track too.
                      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Glad you got them in alright after all.

Like I say, make sure you shorten up the front end-links by about an inch. Maybe more. We'll see...

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Yeah, ive still gotta get around to picking those up. I am anxious to see how the whole MSP suspension is going to feel in my car, since i only have the struts. It may be too late, but if anyone could post a how-to that would be good.
                          Last edited by bigwoo23; 03-23-2004, 12:56 PM.

2003 Sunlight Silver ES 5 Speed
                          www.cardomain.com/id/bigwoo23

There seems to be an epidemic in MI, everyone seems to think that painting your car isn't cool anymore, and people drive around with more primer than paint. What is the world coming to?

Comment

Working...
                          X