Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FS: BP DOHC Solid Lifters, Rev higher! Gain lost powa!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gro Harlem

For those undereducated ppl...Solid lifters replace the HLA's that are famous for the obnoxious "ticking" sound you hear with Mazda valvetrains. Starting in 98' Mazda scrapped all HLA's in all of their engines and installed Solid Lifters in all of thier engines.

The benefits of solid lifters include:

(1) being able to rev higher without the risk of "valve float

(2) getting rid of the ticking sound for LIFE, have a quiet valvetrain for a change!

(3) gain lost power. If your valvetrain does tick...one or more of the HLA's isn't pumping up properly and isn't opening the valve fully. solid lifters consistently open the valves to proper spec, ensuring the proper amount of air is getting into the intake valves or out of the exhaust valves

Mazda started with solid lifters in 1997. In the Protege, the Miata for example didn't have them until 99

1) Valve float has as much to do, if not more with valve spring condition as anything.Solids allow you to run higher RPMs, yes, but also they eliminate lifter collapse from using the stiffer springs associated with running higher revs.

2) Only get rid of that ticking sound until they need to be adjusted again. See #1

I seem to recall a rule of thumb for cam lobes and lifters that went something like this:
    You can use an old cam with new lifters or a new cam with old lifters, but can't use an old cam with old (different) lifters or old lifters on an old (different) cam. Correct me if I'm wrong but it has something to do with like the wear patterns that get set during the engines initial breakin period.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

thats why you use the old cam & buy new shims as needed
      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

how much?
        00 dakota 4x4
        90 crx si - ls/vtec

Comment

yes.... price would be a great thing..

Comment

100 shipped w/measured shims....i wrote their CURRENT sizes on them w/marker. Sorry, i forgot completely about this thread...skewl's reaming me as of late.

Comment

k i dunno about this...
              could i run these in my gtx... you said something about them not fitting maybe??
              i will be running a n/a head on the gtx
              100 bucks is a good price...
              *thinks*

Comment

they'll fit any BP including the gtx.

as with any solid lifter...you'll have to measure the clearance between the lifter & cam and get the proper shim to fill the gap to get the best results.

Comment

Working...
                X