Wanted: 1st gen Speedometer Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted: 1st gen Speedometer Cable

Alright, doing some work on my car and the flange at the base of the speedometer cable that secures it to the transmission casing broke off.

Need a new cable, not sure If I can just replace the bottom 1/2 of the cable (it pulls apart 1/2 way between the transmission and firewall) or if I have to replace the whole thing?

Who's got one, and how much?
    Thanks!

I had to replace mine a few years back and I kept the recipt, so here are the part numbers.

Speedo cable part #'s (it comes in two pieces):
    BTAR-60-070 - $42.64
    BTAR-60-080 - $31.06

dunno which one is the bottom half, just go to your parts counter and order the part you need.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Sweet, thanks a lot!
      Where did you buy it from at those prices?

Comment

The dealer.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Marc, are either of those two parts considered part of the transmission? Actually, what I mean is if the part that connects to the transmission actually part of the transmission or a part considered to connect TO the transmission. In other words, if one buys a transmission, is that part already included with it or is it something one is supposed to already have on the car that the tranny will be getting put into? Thanks

Comment

Are you talking about the speedo gear or the cable? The speedo cable is a two piece cable (according to the parts desk). The base of the cable screws onto the speedo gear, and the gear sits inside the trasmission. I would assume that the gear comes with the tranny, but the speedo cable would not. (can't say for sure, purely speculation on my part)
            Those part numbers are for the spedometer cable only. They have nothing to do with the speedo gear.
            Last edited by Marc93lx; 05-17-2004, 11:35 PM.
            2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Well, the problem that kidprotegedx has is, as he put it "the flange at the base of the speedometer cable that secures it to the transmission casing broke off". Is the "flange" part he's talking about part of the cable section closest to the tranny or is it part of the tranny itself? See, I would not sell part of the transmission that I would then have to re-buy if I use this tranny in the future. The cables are always expected to be on a car anyway.
              Last edited by mannydingo; 05-18-2004, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Alright, talked to a few Mazda dealers today.
                I had thought that the gear drive with the flange was part of the lower 1/2 of the speedometer cable - but that is incorrect.

In fact there are 3 seperate pieces. The 2 cables and then the gear drive which screws into the bottom of the lower cable and also has a flange on it which secures to the transmission case.

And of course with my luck, all 3 dealers I went to had the 2 main cable portions in stock, but not the gear drive / flange component.
                I had them order one in, should be here in a few days. $44 cdn.

Comment

$44 Canadian! Shoulda hit up the junkyard first! LOL -- I pulled a gear from a j/y car a couple months back for like $2.
                  2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Working...
                  X