X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BP powered second Gen for sale 600$

1997 Mazda Protégé for sale.
    $600 cash or certified cheque only.
    Don't ask me to write on the receipt that you only paid 50 bucks for the car either.

1.8 litre engine 5 Spd. Manual trans.
    Power Windows, locks, mirrors, cruise, A/C, 8 way adjustable driver seat, rear disc brakes. First gen aluminum wheels with Yokohama Miradas. Extra set of rims with Blizzaks mounted.
    324,XXX km.
    I bought this car in August 2001 and parked it at the end of September 2008.
    Timing belt and Tensioner was replaced around 270,000 km. Original clutch was replaced around 295,000 km.
    This is originally a B.C. car but the original owner moved to Ontario after that, I bought it from a dealer in Beamsville in 2001 and drove it until a year ago. You can easily get 500km to a tank in this car.
    It came with no service records when I got it, but since then I have all service records plus a bunch of receipts for parts from stuff I did my self. I’ve even got all fuel receipts for this thing for 5 years or so. Sunoco except for one or two exceptions.
    The car is complete and in running condition. A couple years ago I had it at an exhaust shop. And they told me the exhaust manifold was cracked, and it needed a cat. Thus, I suspect it won’t pass an E test until that stuff is repaired. It also has a check engine light for a rear oxygen sensor.
    It will definitely need brakes to certify. Not sure what else, but if you’re mechanically inclined you can probably figure it out and do the work yourself in a couple weekends and have yourself a kick ass winter car. Really, with Blizzaks this car has never gotten stuck and they aren’t even the best winter tires you can get.
    I’d do a compression test but I don’t have a compression tester. The car starts right up, idles fine, the only smoke I see coming out if the back is probably just steam coming from moisture in the exhaust because its been sitting for a year.
    There is a bunch of rust around the rear fenders and a bit on a few spots on the hood, passenger side A pillar, amd window fram on the driver's door.The rear speakers don’t work. I had aftermarket speakers in but took them out, and reinstalled the factory ones. But didn’t hook up the wires. The connectors are still with the speakers, a quick strip and solder job on the wires will get them working again, unless they somehow got ***ked up sitting in my tool box for a few years.
    If you’ve got a 1.5l second gen this is your chance to get a complete and running car to swap out that ****ty Z5 with a real engine. Everything you need is here, including the elusive wiring harness that some junk yards will charge you 500 bucks for (I asked one time for another member and that’s how much they wanted).
    I am not parting this car out, and am not shipping it anywhere. If you want the car you’re buying the whole thing and coming to pick it up.

I reserve the right to ignore or tell to ***k off, anyone who asks me if I will only sell XX parts or will I ship it to Nigeria and they will send me shipping expenses later.

Please note that the car is in Niagara Falls, and I am in Oakville.
    I have weekends off.
    Sorry, but I will not give out the address so you can go look at it on your own.

I can be reached at 905-464-0397
    or at r dot jackson 79 at yahoo dot ca

I'm too lazy to post pictures again. So here is a link to the Kijiji ad that has pics:
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

how bad is the under body rust? any rot? or just surface rust?
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
      how bad is the under body rust? any rot? or just surface rust?
      Do you mean the floors themselves? I haven't been under the car in a long time. But the last time I was (keeping in mind this was a while ago) they were solid. The paint on the passenger side rocker is bubbling thoug saw the pictures near the back where the fender is rusting if you. I haven't taken a look at it though. I'm scared to take a screwdriver and start poking at it.

E: I failed to mention it here as I just copied and pasted that from where I posted the ad a few years ago, but it needs a battery.
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

yea, floors and frame rails.

I want to replace my 97 Z5, since it's rotten and my sister drives it daily...I'd rather have her in something without rot floor/frame rot.

Asides from brakes and fixing the exhaust stuff, think it'll last another 2yrs without major issues?

There's a good chance I'll probably pick up this car next month depending on a few things, I may have a few other questions for you, trying to talk to my dad about going to get it with the car dolly.
        Last edited by Mazda_Powered; 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM.
        -Jack

Comment

I'll be in the falls this weekend if you want to take a look at it. I know its easter weekend so you might be busy but whatever. I can be there the following weekend.
          As far as lasting another 2 years without major issues.... Your guess is as good as mine. Just being honest here. Used cars are a crap shoot. Aside from a ~ yearly brake job, its been a good, reliable car for me. Its never left me stranded. If/when you come to take a look at it, you're more than welcome to bring a jack and some stands and poke around underneath if you like.
          I mentioned in the Kijiji ad but not here, that I'll throw in the haynes and factory service manual for it. The haynes manual covers 1990-1997 models, while the FSM covers 1997 model year only and is twice as thick. That should give you an idea of how indepth the factory manual is over the haynes.
          Personally, I'd rather see it go to a Mazda guy than some random douchebag. The only things I've *had* to replace besides wear items are a throttle position sensor, and the front O2 sensor. The O2 sensors seem to be known for having a life span of around 180,000 KM which is right around the milage I had to change mine at. Other than that.... There is a helicoil in the intake manifold from when I busted a TB bolt. I took the upper intake off and had it replaced at an automotive machine shop. If you look in the archives here you'll probably find my thread about breaking the TB bolts. It might be at Imazda though but I recently found out that Imazda is now defunct. Thats about all I can think of at the moment. If you've got more questions, just ask. I'll see what I can remember.

Comment

cool, good to know! so do all the interior power options work on the car as well?

as far as brakes, are we talking it needing rotors/pads? or calipers/ebrake cables? lol
            -Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
              cool, good to know! so do all the interior power options work on the car as well?

as far as brakes, are we talking it needing rotors/pads? or calipers/ebrake cables? lol
              When I last parked it, everything worked. Except the AC. Well, it sorta worked. It took a while to blow slightly cooler air...

The brakes..... The front rotors don't have that many KM on them, though I don't remember when I changed them. You might just need to take an angle grinder and wire wheel to the braking surfaces to clean them up. The rear rotors were changed around the same time as the fronts. If I can find the bill for the rear rotors then that will give you an idea of when the rotors were changed. I changed the rears probably a month or so after the fronts. I'm *pretty sure* the pads were changed front and rear at the same time as the rotors. Just a rough guess would be early summer of 2007 or so. Then I drove it for another year and a few months. The car has been sitting since September 2008. Parking brake cables should be good. I've got a spare for the driver's side. One thing I just remembered. I rebuilt the driver's rear caliper but when I went to take out the bleeder screw, it twisted off. I managed to weld it back together and it holds fluid fine. This after I took a torch to it, to get the rest of it out. I do, however have a spare bleed screw for it though. Possibly two bleed screws. As well as half a rebuild kit from Mazda. When you buy a rebuild kit from Mazda, you get enough to do two calipers. Since I only did the one, I've got the other half left. As I recall, the parts can be used on either side.
              There are a bunch of other random parts that I've got. Most of it Mazda stuff. I was on a first name basis with the parts people at the Mazda dealer in Oakville because I was always in there buying stuff. Things like the little plastic pieces that hold the rubber piece at the front of the hood on, and the little LED back lights for the radio etc..

One other thing that comes to mind. The interior grab handle on the passenger side. Its a bit ****ed up. The door wasn't quite closed one night, so instead of opening the door and pulling it closed, I just reached over and yanked. A bit too hard. If your current 97 has the dark interior, then you can swap out the door panels in 15 minutes, and all is good. Or maybe just glue it back together.

Comment

Sounds like a caliper incident I had with my old Protege GT lol, thanks for the quick replies!
                -Jack

Comment

Yeah, the rear discs on these cars weren't all that great.
                  I started it up just a little while ago. The battery is completely dead, there is no saving it I think. I'm not sure when the last time was that it ran, probably around Christmas. For how long its been sitting, it started right up. I probably cranked it for 3 or 4 seconds and it fired up without even sputtering. No smoke coming out the back. I ran it for probably half an hour and I never heard anything out of the ordinary. It revved as good as it ever did. Just a bit of hesitation off idle, but its had that since I bought the thing so..... Power locks, mirrors, and windows all worked. Blower fan worked. All lights still work. But I didn't see the brake lights. My legs aren't that long.
                  I did a quick walk around and the rear rocker on the passenger side isn't in that great shape. If you're only going to have it for a year or two, then maybe its not an issue. If I were going to buy it, I'd take a cut off wheel to it, cut out the bad part and weld in a new piece. Then give it a quick paint job Or maybe cover it with that rocker gaurd stuff. I'm no body guy, but I know how to weld, an inexpensive, decent mig welder could do the job no problem. I hope thats not a deal breaker. I took a quick look underneath and put a few knuckles to the floor pan and didn't hear anything bad. But thats not a guarantee. Again, if you come to take a look at it, you're welcome to put it up and take a look.

Comment

Car is still for sale. If its not gone in a couple weeks its getting junked.

Comment

I'm very interested in this as a winter car. The only trouble is the location. I was planning a trip to Toronto in the near future, but I just can't say when exactly.

Great opportunity, bad timing, unfortunately. Too bad it'll get junked.

Comment

Car is gone. Sold it about an hour ago. If you're looking for parts its here: http://406autoparts.com/ They do ship throughout North America.

I'm sad

Comment

Working...
                        X