No announcement yet.

WTB: 4wd Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But. . It is a one owner car and he is going to send me his log book: every fill-up. oil change, and repair. He says the engine still runs great. The rear axle may be an issue; but who knows, its not like the SOHC puts any real load on it.

Comment

One owner is always a plus.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivet View Post
        But. . It is a one owner car and he is going to send me his log book: every fill-up. oil change, and repair. He says the engine still runs great. The rear axle may be an issue; but who knows, its not like the SOHC puts any real load on it.
        I know this is a little old now but the add said its a center diff problem which means a tranny problem not a rear end problem that is why you have to lock the diff so it will go. Otherwise that seems like a good price as long as their "some rust" quote doesn't mean as bad as my car was
        Jason
        Yes Its 4wd woot woot
        sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

How bad was your car when you got it Jason?

Any before pics?

Comment

Here's the story on the car; it only moves with the diff lock engaged. So my guess is the tranny is done for. I don't have the car yet, so we'll see. The plan is for engine and tranny swap. I only mentioned the rear axle as a possible wear point due to it's age, not as a cause of the current problem. All of the other "wear" items should be taken care of during the driveline swap, or will be a piece of cake to change when the time comes. I suppose the rack will be no picnic to replace, but everything else should be easy.

Comment

Change out the front swaybar when the engine's out....
              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Originally posted by Jho View Post
                How bad was your car when you got it Jason?

Any before pics?
                I think there are some pics in the bg picture thread somewhere. Otherwise they are on my computer at home. My car wasn't too bad on the body, there was some rust bubbles on the driverside windsheild pillar, on the trunk lid and on the driverside quarter panel just above the wheel. The worst spots were on the underneath of the car, holes in floor boards, brake rotors rusted in half.
                Jason
                Yes Its 4wd woot woot
                sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

The 4wd protege we got came from Colorado and has very little rust! Were about to do a gtx trans swap and a stage 3 clutch.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by TurboProto; 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM.
                  1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                  http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncsprotege View Post
                    I think there are some pics in the bg picture thread somewhere. Otherwise they are on my computer at home. My car wasn't too bad on the body, there was some rust bubbles on the driverside windsheild pillar, on the trunk lid and on the driverside quarter panel just above the wheel. The worst spots were on the underneath of the car, holes in floor boards, brake rotors rusted in half.
                    Jason

Looks like a whole new car now though.

Originally posted by TurboProto View Post
                    The 4wd protege we got came from Colorado and has very little rust! Were about to do a gtx trans swap and a stage 3 clutch.
                    Jeeez Steve, you need to stop buying Proteges.........save some for the rest of us!

Comment

neat, glad someone bought that SLC protege. I wish I had the money, as I'd fly out and get the one in Denver right now. maybe just buy it and have my brother hold it for me at his house till Christmas. hmmm....

Good luck on that 4wd Rivet, glad you found one finally.
                      No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncsprotege View Post
                        Jason
                        I saved your picts! Here they are:
                        Attached Files
                        1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Looks like a whole new car now though.

Jeeez Steve, you need to stop buying Proteges.........save some for the rest of us!
                          Thats not my 4wd protege! Its my buddy Josh who is still lagging on registering for this club. I might have to do the dirty work for him.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by almightybmw View Post
                            neat, glad someone bought that SLC protege. I wish I had the money, as I'd fly out and get the one in Denver right now. maybe just buy it and have my brother hold it for me at his house till Christmas. hmmm....

Good luck on that 4wd Rivet, glad you found one finally.
                            I was looking at the SLC one, too. I ended up buying one from Denver and having it shipped to me in Iowa...it arrived about 2 hours ago.

1990, Blue, 158k, badly broken windshield, broken driver's seat, no center diff lock switch (I haven't searched the trunk yet) and very dirty. Front door cards need a little TLC. But 2 quarter-sized rust bubbles on the passenger-side A-pillar were the ONLY cancer I could find anywhere. All for $900 + a $400 truck ride.

Jay W., if you read this, it's here!!!

Happy to find a Protege home here.

Regards,
                            Joel
                            '88 323 GTX (HEAVILY modified)
                            '90 AWD Protege (soon to be HEAVILY modified)
                            1988 323 GTX - Heavily modified

DJT Motorsports (Oak Park, MI) - like no other

Comment

Originally posted by TurboProto View Post
                              I saved your picts! Here they are:
                              Wowsers, nice rotor!

I remember those pics, I remember the yellow.

Originally posted by jjmundt View Post
                              I was looking at the SLC one, too. I ended up buying one from Denver and having it shipped to me in Iowa...it arrived about 2 hours ago.

1990, Blue, 158k, badly broken windshield, broken driver's seat, no center diff lock switch (I haven't searched the trunk yet) and very dirty. Front door cards need a little TLC. But 2 quarter-sized rust bubbles on the passenger-side A-pillar were the ONLY cancer I could find anywhere. All for $900 + a $400 truck ride.

Jay W., if you read this, it's here!!!

Happy to find a Protege home here.

Regards,
                              Joel
                              '88 323 GTX (HEAVILY modified)
                              '90 AWD Protege (soon to be HEAVILY modified)

Welcome to Club Protege Joel.

Congrats on the new ride.

Comment

Welcome to Club Protege Joel.

Congrats on the new ride.
                                Thanks...much appreciated. Upon further inspection (and a little assistance from Jay), I located the diff switch...duh!!! I'm used to the big box in the GTX and was looking for that.

I also located a couple more bubbles. Interestingly, all the bubbling is happening around the windshield. I take it that it's a built-in rust magnet on these cars. Anyway, the windshield will need replacing, so when that happens, I'll have the body shop clean all that up.

Oh, and it's got an old bra on it...I can't wait to see how things look under THAT.

Regards,
                                Joel
                                1988 323 GTX - Heavily modified

DJT Motorsports (Oak Park, MI) - like no other

Comment

Working...
                                X