No announcement yet.

WTB: 4wd Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting, I've never heard of a rust problem around the windshield on a first gen.

Comment

Maybe the rust around the windshield is a problem that is jsut starting to show-up now the these cars are reaching an advanced age. The car I am buying (I don't have the car yet) is supposed to have the worst rust around the windshield. My guess is that I'll find a broken antenana base or gasket and that is the root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivet View Post
        My guess is that I'll find a broken antenana base or gasket and that is the root cause.
        That's a good guess.

My old car had a messed up windshield gasket.

I'm betting that's going to cause problems down the road.

Comment

I finally got the car here! This has taken forever; really in this day and age buying a car should not be this hard! However, I still have not paid for it Here the deal; we planned to pay for the car by Paypal. Seemed like a quick and easy way to transfer the money, right? Wrong; my bank decides to deny the payment. They think that all paypal transactions are fraud. Plan B: we send a cashier's check overnight. Post office never delivers it; it is going to be another week before they can tell us what they did with it. To top it all off we had some minor problems with the transport company, nothing serious but a pain in the butt.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks pretty clean.

How come they all come with only 3 hubcaps. Mine was missing the front passengers. =\

Comment

I did get all 4 hubcaps, one is in the back seat. Here are some more pics. I was kind of disappointed in the rockers; three conrners where crushed and one is rusty. Did it really take three tries to figure out that you can't jack the car from there. But over all I'm happy with the car. I don't recommend buying a car sight unseen, but I couldn't go wrong for the money.
              Attached Files

Comment

It didn't take long to diagnosis this one . . .
                The paper work I got with the car says the the clucth was changed about 3 years back; I wonder if the forgot to fill the transfer case. Not sure what I am going to do about it yet. My plan was for a BPT and trans, and I stilll intend to do that, but now I'm thinking I might just change out the transfer case (if I can find one). The big question is how deep does the damage go, the trans may be a total loss anyways. The SOHC runs great, you never would guess it has over 250K on it, no lifter noise, nothing.
                Attached Files

Comment

looks pretty good. i'm going to be picking up a 4wd within a week. soon to be to 4wd's in 1 state!! were going to have to meet up

Comment

The Jefferson swap meet is in a few weeks . . .I'm about 4 miles from the fair grounds. We uaually have a Bon Fire on Saturday night after the swap meet. However, my tapper has gone dry and I haven't picked up a new keg yet. We might have to settle for bottled beer.

Comment

All I have to say is that your sight unseen was better then my sight unseen, Not nearly as much rust as was what mine had. Have fun with it and I would say change the tranny.
                      Jason
                      Yes Its 4wd woot woot
                      sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

Sounds like a hassle! Hopefully it was worth it.

We've got the same lifts at my work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivet View Post
                          I was kind of disappointed in the rockers; three conrners where crushed and one is rusty. Did it really take three tries to figure out that you can't jack the car from there.

I know what caused this... It wasn't a floor jack that did this... I have seen this first hand before, an idiot in my old shop class did this to his car

By thinking he knew how to properly support his car, and like the idiot he is, his car FELL OFF OF THE LIFT, from about 4 feet in the air, it blew out one tire and bent the rim, and left dents and scrapes almost EXACTLY like these on three corners of the rockers

two questions, is that fourth hubcap broken?
                          and did the wheel it goes on... does it have a flat spot on the rim, even a small one?
                          Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
                          Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

ok makes me want a awd even more

Comment

That's a good find. The damage doesn't look too bad. Can't wait to see what the future holds for it.
                              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I'm fairly sure that the damage is from a jack and not a lift. They seem fairly recent and I know they where trying to fix the thing in the driveway before they gave up. But who knows, made it did fall of a lift a some point. After I get it running again, I'll take it over to the local autobady and see what it will take to replace the rockers. The drivers Post/windshield frame will need some work also, I don't think whole thing will need to come out, but it is definatly going to need some reconstructive surgery

Comment

Working...
                                X