Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It counts if i stole parts from a 4WD Protege right?

This is what im in the process of doing
    Last edited by josh95mx; 08-17-2011, 06:58 PM.
    Josh
    95' AWD MX-3 RST - Still a work in progress
    05' MS RX-8 - Needing some love in the form of a new motor, soon to be FE3 powered
    Work Log - http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53776
    Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
    Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-...37983472959216

Comment

BUMPED. i am a new owner of a 4wd

NW MAZDAS

Comment

^^^ pics?
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Just Scored a 5 speed 4wd for $300! I'll post pics when I start my worklog

2008 Mazda 6i Sport
          1990 Mazda Protege 4WD
          1999 Nissan Altima SE-L

Comment

wow what a deal! hows the rust situation?

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Originally posted by THAPRO1 View Post
              Just Scored a 5 speed 4wd for $300! I'll post pics when I start my worklog
              holy smokes! yeah, whats the catch?!!?

Comment

As far as the body goes very little rust haven't been able to take a detailed look underneath yet but it didn't look to bad from what I could tell.
                The story with the car is I found it listed on Craigslist for $300 because the car needed a cylinder head, when I got out there to look at it the guy was like I bought the car for my son as a first car and it started to overheat but he kept driving it..... Oh and btw its 4wd I forgot to mention that in the ad lol I was like wait what!?!? And it's stick?? And he was like yeah I've never seen a 4wd protege before so needless to say I gave him the $300 as fast as I could.....which leads to a question..... Being that I've never had to tow anything but front wheel drive vehicles, I put the front two wheels up on a tow dolly left the car in neutral and the rear wheels were rolling. Did I just destroy this thing or is it ok to tow these cars like that? Feel free to flame, lol I know I'm kicking myself for not catching or thinking about the fact that all 4 wheels were drive wheels.

2008 Mazda 6i Sport
                1990 Mazda Protege 4WD
                1999 Nissan Altima SE-L

Comment

How far and fast did you tow it like that? Was it in gear? There's a chance it's fine, but you should have removed the driveshaft.

Edit: re-read you had it in neutral. It should be fine. Not much force on the center diff spider gears just spinning the transmission secondary shaft.
                  Last edited by DuRWooD; 11-05-2011, 05:14 AM.
                  sigpic
                  1992 Familia GT-X
                  1988 323 GTX
                  2011 F150 Lariat Ecoboost
                  2014 Civic Touring

Comment

Ok that's a relief we had to tow it about 65 miles the guy was way out in the country and we traveled about 45- 50 mph.

Thanks for the info, so for future reference if I have to tow it it'd be preferable to flat bed it but if not just remove the drive shaft right?
                    Last edited by THAPRO1; 11-05-2011, 09:14 AM.

2008 Mazda 6i Sport
                    1990 Mazda Protege 4WD
                    1999 Nissan Altima SE-L

Comment

factory manual says if you flat-tow it with all four wheels on the ground, just put it in neutral.
                      if you have the front wheels off the ground, remove the prop shaft.
                      In any case, do NOT tow it backwards with any drive wheels on the ground.

--sarge

Comment

Hey guys are there any of you in the northeast with a 4WD Protege? If so let's head out on the trails. Check this out:

Mike
                        Check out my 4WD Compact Car thread.

Comment

Originally posted by RX794 View Post
                          I have a 1990 4wd for about 3 years now.
                          RX794, do you still have it? Pics please?

Originally posted by trailrider098 View Post
                          Hi, my name is Jeff. I have had a 4WD problem for several years now and i realized im addicted. +1 its baby blue
                          How about you Jeff?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by blownb310 View Post
                            RX794, do you still have it? Pics please?

How about you Jeff?

Mike
                            I don't have my 4WD Protege anymore, looking back on it now I should've never sold it, it was a great car. I do have pics on my computer somewhere, when I find them I will post them up.

Comment

Thanks! I don't want to see this thread and the enthusiasm for these cars die.

For all in this thread that no longer have your car, please tell us what happened to it and why you got rid of it.

For all others, how about an update? Quite a few people here chimed in but never posted pics of their cars.

Where's the 4WD Protege love people?!

Comment

bought mine in august of 2011, looked like this

an engine swap and a few mods later, this is what it looks like today

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Working...
                                X