No announcement yet.

AWD tranz,diff and rear end fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have been running 80/90 in all my trannies fwd and awd,(worked great never had a problem)
    but in the winter its a light thick, so i was thinking about doing a 50/50
    mix with ATF in my 90 awd pro (dohc turbo smaller t3 .42/.48 15 psi) ,what do you guys think?

also when i drained it i notices shaving in there,( i have a jdm tranz as a backup sitting around also) they looked to be brass
    colored, but then again the 80/90 is that yellow color so maybe that tarnished it, any ideas on what this could be???
    5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

There are no brass bits inside a mazda awd trans. Steel synchros. How much shavings, and what size? Pix?

And doing an atf/gearlube mix might be a bad idea. Base stocks tend to be different. you might be allright with synth versions of each, which you should be running anyhow, but I don't know enough on mixing 'em to be sure one way or another. If' you're worried about it, just go with a lighter gearlube, as I think atf is too thin for these boxes no matter what Mazda says. If even lighter gearlube is too thick for your winters, then just do all atf and swap it back when it warms up.
      Last edited by jay; 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

In my center and rear diff, I've been running XX/140 from the local farm store, Mystik is the brand. We used to use it in different gearboxes for farm equipment, and never had problems with it. It was easy to find locally when I needed some. Definitely noticeable in the cold that it's thick, but I just try to take it easy for the first few minutes of driving around. I mostly got it because of the film strength needed for heavy-duty applications like farm equipment. One of these days I'll get some Torco, but this seems to be working fine so far...

--sarge

Comment

Working...
        X