Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4WD Shifter Cable BRASS Bushings (transmission end)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James

1990 Mazda Protege 4wd / 1993 Mazda RX-7 / 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback / 2013 Ford Mustang

Comment

i ordered a set a few weeks ago, they sent me the wrong damn ones! finally got the right ones after i had to pay to ship them back though :/

NW MAZDAS

Comment

awesome! can't wait to get more feedback on them
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

The install of these has owned me and taken my car out of commission. The inner sleeve of the factory rubber bushing has fused itself to the shaft that it rides on. I have tried pretty much every gripping tool in my aresenal and used percussive force in just about every way you can imagine with nary a budge. I am at the point where I am either going to have to try to cut it off somehow or try to get a torch down there and see if heat can do anything. Considering my luck, it is probably better to not put open flames in the engine bay, especially with all of the rubber and plastic in the vicinity.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
          James

1990 Mazda Protege 4wd / 1993 Mazda RX-7 / 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback / 2013 Ford Mustang

Comment

i would suggest heat. torch that center sleeve red hot & then spray it with something. Freeze off/WD-40/ even ATF fluid(works wonders)
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

take the spring-clip off of the cable bracket, so the cable can flop around, and pull the cable end off of the rubber bushing.

then maybe see if you can get a vise-grip/locking pliers in there and wiggle it enough to move. If not, maybe cut the rubber bushing off of the sleeve, then grab the sleeve with the pliers and turn?

ATF + Acetone, a 50/50 mix, is one of the BEST penetrating oils you will ever use.

good luck!

Comment

Sarge, I've been down to just the metal sleeve for a couple of weeks now. Cable end is off and rubber that was there crumbled off. I've never seen anything like the way that sleeve inside of the rubber has fused to the shaft it sits over... If I get a chance, I'll pick up some acetone and give your mix a try. As it sits, PB and WD have both let me down.
                James

Comment

or, just take a wire brush and clean the sleeve as much as possible, then measure it with a caliper, and then re-drill the bushing to fit over that?

just another possibility...

--sarge

Comment

Pretty weather today has helped me get this resolved. In the end, I took a very small drill bit and drilled down the length of the metal sleeve. Then I took a flat head screwdriver and hammer and with two hits, the sleeve was split and off the shaft. Both are now installed and it is definitely an improvement. Now I just need to to the bushing on the shifter tower as it is completely gone as well. I plan to go to Lowes this evening and buy the 3/8's plug so I can make my own out of brass. I'm excited as this means I may get to drive the car again next week when I get home from CES.
                    James

Comment

same thing wrong with 2 of my trannies, I'll have to try that drill method

NW MAZDAS

Comment

I used a very small drill bit and just took my time. I didn't want to get the bit into the shaft. In the end, I was successful. I have also already went to Lowes. Spent $7 for the 3/8" brass plug and a new 13/64th" drill bit. Came home and put the plug in the vise and lopped the threaded part off at the shank. Then I placed the lug in the vise and drilled the center hole. A couple of trips to the car and back to the vise so that I could hit the sides with a file and I now have my new brass shifter bushing. I was pleasantly surprised how factory it looked. Shifter feels like a completely different animal now. Yay!

No victory lap tonight. I lost the light and still need to put the battery tray and battery back in. Little stuff, I know, but I need to be doing laundry and getting packed. I'm just glad to have the darned thing back together.
                        James

Comment

I wonder if kroil will work on your bushing sleeves bogaut. I haven't had any thing that didn't come loose after using kroil.

Comment

hmm never used kroil. can you only buy it online?

NW MAZDAS

Comment

i dont know my buddy is a millwright and he gets it from work once and a while I have a little left i can hook you up.

Comment

yea thad be great, i needs to get that old bushing off

NW MAZDAS

Comment

Working...
                                X