Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnetic/regular switch to kill ignition/starter, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnorion
    Not if you put the cutoff under the hood instead of at the steering column.
    Becomes obvious when you go under your hood at night when parking car then in morning again to get to work! Some guy had a cutoff switch in his trunk and he was surprised it got stolen! lol
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

That's not what I mean... here's an example: my mom's car has a starter kill installed. It is spliced into the starter circuit under the hood rather than under the steering column, so it's difficult to bypass. However, the actual switch is linked to her high beams. To start the car, you turn the key and flick the high beam switch. If you don't flick the lights, the car won't start. There are several relays involved in the process and they're all in different places so it would take a long time to trace the circuit. Therefore the thief gets fed up and nervous and goes somewhere else.

Comment

ah ok, he means splice it under the hood, but wire the switch up in the interior somewhere....

makes sense, b/c if there is a short wire going from the switch to a few wires in the steering column, it would be obvious what needed to be done to steal the car.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Ahhhhhh yes. Okay i get it now. Yeah that is pretty good thinking! Aside from the installing of all that bs part!
          **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
          95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

It really shouldn't be all that hard... actually, I guess the design shouldn't be that hard but running all those wires through the firewall would be a bitch.

Comment

I like the fuel pump cut off because its easy... and if some thief wants to take the time to crank it over till its dead, I can assure you; he will be born-again into a world of pain and maddness!
              '91 Mazda Protege GT/ Completely re-built engine w/.020 head shave, intake/exhaust P&P & 3 angle valve job, 2.25 full custom exhaust, RX-7 AFM, K&N Cone, 18* Timing advance, exhintake cam mod w/Fly'n Miata adjustables, Custom short shifter, CenterForce clutch, lightened flywheel, HAWK pads on all 4, Motegi Racing 8 spoke 16"s w/205/45/ZR16 rubber, VentShade window visors, lower lip spoiler, 4" driving lights w/halo's. MX-3 center console & Black carpet swap w/2 layers dynomat type insulation.
              Soon to come... Garret T25 turbo, DSM injectors, GTX ecu (Needed) SAFC (Needed) FMIC (Needed)

'91 Toyota Soarer GT-TL/ Stock 1JZ-GTE, K&N drop in filter, Gewalt Evolution deep dish 17"s, Nardi steering wheel

sigpic

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind!

Comment

It really shouldn't be all that hard... actually, I guess the design shouldn't be that hard but running all those wires through the firewall would be a bitch.
                bah if I can get my 0 gauge wire thru the grommet for the amp, I am sure I can get a smaller wire for the starter through.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                  bah if I can get my 0 gauge wire thru the grommet for the amp, I am sure I can get a smaller wire for the starter through.
                  Not sure what your firewall looks like but on mine you can't access the grommet from the engine side, it's hidden by about 4 pieces of sheet metal. I had to drill a hole to fit a 4 gauge through and it was nearly impossible to reach down far enough to get it through without removing bits from the engine bay.

Comment

Not sure what your firewall looks like but on mine you can't access the grommet from the engine side, it's hidden by about 4 pieces of sheet metal. I had to drill a hole to fit a 4 gauge through and it was nearly impossible to reach down far enough to get it through without removing bits from the engine bay.
                    4wd proteges are weird.

Mine you can easily see.... I just pulled the grommet, and drilled the crap out of it for the wires. Fits perfect and looks good. I need to get some split loom though to hide the wires.

Comment

Yeah, the 4wd is messed up... I have to start from scratch on half of everything I do. But that's cool, I'll figure it all out eventually and have stuff that nobody else does.

Comment

Working...
                      X