Alternator swap in 1st gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blue LEDz
    you'd need to upgrade the cable from the battery to the alt as well as the ground cable from the engine to the chassis. it would also be a wise idea to upgrade the battery to the chassis cable. there's no sense in upgrading the alt so much if you don't upgrade the wiring. it's like using a garden hose instead of a fire hose to put out a fire.
    lol, I had planned on upgrading those wires since the battery is in the trunk, and they are almost to puny to go into the Monster Cable power distribution block I got

But would all the other electronics be ok? The car runs off of the alternator while the motor is going, and I dont want anything fried, especially my ECU.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
      lol, I had planned on upgrading those wires since the battery is in the trunk, and they are almost to puny to go into the Monster Cable power distribution block I got

But would all the other electronics be ok? The car runs off of the alternator while the motor is going, and I dont want anything fried, especially my ECU.

it's not like the alt will be putting out full amps all the time. you have to be going about 2k rpms or higher for it to achieve full ouput, and the output is regulated by the voltage regulator built into the alt. or if it's a really good aftermarket one the voltage regulator and recifier will be external units with their own heat sinks, since it's heat that kills both those components. either way, the load on the alt will dictate the output. so yeah, everything will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash00es
        200 amp alternator huh blueledz... ohh the possibilities.. just not for the 3rd gens with the retarded setup

yup. the 3rd gen's 2-part voltage regulator sucks ass. it's so crappy that they shares alternators with a kia

Comment

Is it the 180amp Iraggi Alternator (91-96) Ford, Mercury, Mazda? What kind of power loss am I looking at w/ one of those? The appearances are the same, so what seperates the 75 amp at idle from the 115 amp at idle? Just the winding?
          Tricks get applause... Style gets respect.

Comment

Originally posted by analytical
            Is it the 180amp Iraggi Alternator (91-96) Ford, Mercury, Mazda? What kind of power loss am I looking at w/ one of those? The appearances are the same, so what seperates the 75 amp at idle from the 115 amp at idle? Just the winding?

here are iraggi alts:
            Get the best deals on Stores HUB when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

he makes very good affordable ones. the difference between the 75 amp idle and the 115 amp idle is the pully and $80. it may also have beefier internal components, but i doubt it since the max output is still the same.

Comment

Working...
            X