No announcement yet.

Instrument Panel LEDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You shoulda SEEN how much easier the gt4 swap was before it all got started...har har
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I have a feeling that's how my KL swap is going to be.

Comment

KL swaps are easy, just be prepared to research radiators and wiring harnesses for days
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

the wiring was cake after we figured out which wire to ground on the ecu relay. the radiator was about the only thing that was a bitch.
          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
          What are you driving?

Comment

What i'm interested in is what these LED's line up with on the guage cluster and what those pin-outs line up to on whatever-model ECU they actually had a function with.

A car company is not going to add things "just because" since they are just that. A company. 2 cent Extras cost money....lots of it.
            Drew
            '95 EGT 1.8
            T
            '93 ELX 1.9 SC
            '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

After tracing the circuits if each LED, and matching the pins to the wiring diagram in the back of my Haynes manual, they're not used at all. No wires go to those pins from anywhere, they're just empty. And there's nothing in the gauge face that would light up, it's completely black except for the overdrive light.

So as to what they were used for, I have no clue. Maybe something outside the US?

Comment

Originally posted by Skuce View Post
                What i'm interested in is what these LED's line up with on the guage cluster and what those pin-outs line up to on whatever-model ECU they actually had a function with.

A car company is not going to add things "just because" since they are just that. A company. 2 cent Extras cost money....lots of it.
                yes but retooling or two separate boards to print is ALOT more money so a universal board for 3-4 or more models is ideal cost wise
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Same reason why so many chassis, suspension and other parts are interchangeable between cars. To keep cost down. Which means at some point, somewhere, those LED spots were functional.

Anyone else know what cars this gauge cluster was used in? Obviously other market BH Proteges. The Australian Ford Laser used a BH chassis, right?

Comment

Question: I want to change the bulbs in my 93 Pro from green to red. I noticed the BJ inst. panel is red. Does anybody know if the bulbs in the BJ are similar to the ones in a BG?

Or, can I source bulbs with the red coating?

Or (lol), can I remove the coating and just paint it with a Testor's paint?

I apologize for jacking the thread...I'l delete the post if you want!!

Cheers
                    91 GT- Li'l Bee (under construction)
                    2013 Honda Accord V6 coupe - 14.7 sec. 1/4 mile

New Thread:
                    Wilyb's 91 Pro GT Rebuild: Li'l B: http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...Rebuild-Li-l-B

Old Threads:

WilyB's 93 GT rebuild worklog : http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...-93-GT-rebuild
                    My FE3 worklog thread:http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...ighlight=wilyb

sigpic

Comment

the BG panel's are green. try various bulb colors per different effects
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

You can get different colored LEDs as well, and the gauge faces don't have as much of an effect on the color, or so I've seen. But that's not really what this thread is about.

Comment

yea. just swap out the guage cluster for red led's. i did this in my beater 626 and it turned out pretty nice.
                          ~PaTricK~

-Current car's-
                          ~ 92 Probe GT Turbo, 90 FE3 Turbo 626GT hatch, 97 KL mtx 626, 05 Mazda6, 09 Kia Sportage V6~
                          What are you driving?

Comment

Working...
                          X