Amplification help?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amplification help?!?

alright so now im INSANELY confused about speakers....

i have some questions, i got new speakers for front doors(6x8), they are infinity kappas and are 100watts rms, 300watts max... i know for a subwoofer u need to amplify it to whatever the rms wattage of the sub is in order to not damage the subwoofer from underpowering it...... but is this true with speakers?? and if it is, would a rockford fosgate amp that only puts out 50watts x2 at 4ohm be enuf to power just those 2 front speakers properly without damaging or should i get a more powerful one?

thank u! any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

whoa dude, you are way off

you can't damage speakers or subwoofers from under powering them. what do you think you are doing when the volume is turned down? you are underpowering them people associate underpowering subwoofers with damaging them because typically people who under power their subs run their amp into full clipping to get the most bass out of their subs. well when you do that, you get substantially more current flowing through the sub, and that will in turn cause overheating and a burnt voice coil.

any amp will work fine, regardless of power, unless it has a limited frequency range, like with class D sub amps. under power or over power is fine, as long as you are within the limits of your system

Comment

whew...... thank u SOOO much, lol i owe ya for all the help youve given me.

Comment

Originally posted by robisconfusedd
        whew...... thank u SOOO much, lol i owe ya for all the help youve given me.

dude, if everyone i helped owed me, and paid up for it, i'd be a millionaire aside from moderating here, i help on another protege site, a car audio site (where i go for question i need the answer to), a neon srt4 site, and a VW site. needless to say i like helping people with stereos, and i'll keep helping anyone who really wants to learn.

Comment

heh thats awesome.. im part of 300zxclub.com but thats the only other place i go

Comment

Working...
          X