Uhh...I can't figure it out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uhh...I can't figure it out

It's not for my protege but I can't quite figure out what is wrong with my girlfriends car.
    It's kinda an install on a budget but right now she has a Lanzar amp, my W3s, and a schoche wiring kit from wal-mart.

I've wired quite a few cars before and never had a problem. The problem is she doesn't have a RCA port on the back of her head unit and the amp only has RCA inputs, there is no line-in that can be used off of the speaker wires.

After thinking I decided to cut an RCA wire and wire one of the wires to the positive and one to the negative. Nope didn't work, I then remembered that inside each RCA wire are 2 smaller wires. I then split the wire and wired the two wires inside of a single wire to the pos and neg. Boom booooom...it works.

The problem is...only somtimes. I put male ends on the wire to test it because she has the clips that come with the stock speakers. So it's running as a speaker would. I figure it will work after I use wire taps and hide them under the carpet somewhere...nope, that doesn't work.
    I plugged it back into the speaker wire and it works again????

Now after starting the car it will turn on sometimes, if I play with the key and turn on and off the power it will come on after 3 or 4 tries.

Another thing I was thinking is there is no remote wire because it's an LXi and it's got the "infinity system" which has an amp in the trunk. So I connected the remote wire to the ACC wire. Is the amp turning on too soon?

I know this is kinda confusing but if you have any questions please ask them and I can probably clear things up.
    What do I do?

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

all i'm reading here is a mixed bag of problems. what you should use is an LOC (Line-Out Converter) to get a reliable RCA connection, and depending on the LOC, some have an auto-sensing feature that allows you to hook a remote wire to the harness for your amp turn-on instead of having to wiring your remote wire to the ACC wire. why it would work intermittanly is only beyond me, but using a line-out converter to get your remote and rca feeds may clean up the install and sure up the reliablity of the connection.. possibly even help you in your persuit of hiding it.
    Kevin

Comment

David Navone makes really high quality ones but for a price... otherwise, you should be able to get a basic one at any audio shop. I paid about $18 for a Stinger LOC and installed on the stock HU with a decent set of speakers there was no audible quality loss.

Comment

I think the LOCs are the way to go. I've just never though of them because I've never had to use them before.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
        Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
        I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

Working...
        X