wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pimpprotege69
    Its basically a reserve for the electrical system to provide some more ooomph for the subs where you could not otherwise.

usually a .5 farad for every 500 watts rms. :D
    Yeah, unfortunately caps cost a bit and with a system like mine I'm better off getting a second battery. I need to find some crimpers/cutters for 2 and 4 gauge cable so i can properly wire my amp. I also got some extra 4 gauge to ground my battery to the chasis. Now all I need a 3.5cuft enclosure tuned at 35hz, some components, another amp, and a metra kit and I'll be doin good!
    2003 Pure White Mazda Protege5
    Zoom On!

Comment

capacitors work basically the same as a battery, except that they can recharge and discharge faster. the downside is they only hold a tiny amount of power. they are typically used as a bandaid fix to not having a large enough alternator or enough battery power. in a properly designed and built system, they serve little purpose except to help level out the voltage, not so much for the amps, but for the the rest of the components like the head unit and processors. the head unit and processors are more effected by the low voltage and won't put out as clean of a signal when the voltage drops. where as the newer class D, T, X, etc, amps are less effected by voltage drops. they are designed to put out close to the same power at 12 volts and 14 volts, unlike the older class A, B, A/B amps that could lose 50% or more of their power from dropping from 14 to 12 volts. with unregulated amps, having a capacitor will more than likely help the sub amp, but since most amps used today are regulated, caps do little to no good, except to look good:D i swear by extra batteries, as do most SPL competitors

PhatTrax, i highly recomend www.knukonceptz.com for all your wiring needs:D i've used them, as well as many others on here, and i must say the service was great, and the shippment was fast. BTW, do you know the resonant freq of a P5? i know the sedans are around 46-47, so tuning your box so low won't help as much for SPL comps. but tuning it higher and having a port insert for daily driving might be a better way to go

Comment

not sure on the resonant frequency, all the wiring i can get from my friend, and i was gonna tune it low for sq, but i could always get a port insert.
        Zoom On!

Comment

Re: wow

Originally posted by blue LEDz

hopefully more of the members from the former protegeclub will find their way over here

Im sure they all or most will find out bout this forum!!
          Maroon 1995 Probe SE
          Beige 1994 Protege DX
          Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by PhatTrax
            not sure on the resonant frequency, all the wiring i can get from my friend, and i was gonna tune it low for sq, but i could always get a port insert.

hey, i was talking to pimpprotege69, and he said the resonant freq is around 44 hz, from what he can tell

Comment

hey, i was talking to pimpprotege69, and he said the resonant freq is around 44 hz, from what he can tell
              coolness
              '02 classic red p5
              currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Originally posted by walight01
                coolness
                oh yeah, i forgot you had a p5 too:D if someone with a p5 and a 10 or 12 in a sealed box would go to a local shop that has an RTA and have their p5's resonant frequency checked, that would be very useful

Comment

thats the first thing i'm going to do when i get all my stuff in and installed. do you think matting the car can change the resonant freq?
                  '02 classic red p5
                  currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

sound dampening will lower the resonant freq, depending on how much you put in

Comment

regulate!
                      -onehawaiian | My 2002 P5 Funk
                      >> NOTHING INSTALLED <<
                      **Team Punani-Luvah**

Comment

oh yeah, i forgot you had a p5 too:D if someone with a p5 and a 10 or 12 in a sealed box would go to a local shop that has an RTA and have their p5's resonant frequency checked, that would be very useful
                        I have a sealed enclosure atm, do shops usually charge for this?
                        Zoom On!

Comment

Originally posted by PhatTrax
                          I have a sealed enclosure atm, do shops usually charge for this?
                          yeah, ususally between $10 and $20, but some are free a decent shop that wants you as a customer will probably charge only $10

Comment

Working...
                          X