Where to go from here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to go from here

So far I have a Pioneer Premier h/u and Pioneer 3-way 6x9s in the rear deck, and those are staying.
    Now though, I'm not sure where to go from here.
    I do know that the first order of business will be vibration dampening in the doors and rear deck.
    Should I save up for Pioneer Premier front components, or go for a different brand? I don't want to spend a lot of money, I just want something to round out the system.
    So, what are your suggestions for front speakers, amplifiers, and subwoofers?
    I'm not a sound quality nut, but I don't want garbage either, and I do want some bass, just not deafening like 2 12"s.

PS: it's a 98 Protege.
    PPS: I need to keep my pass through compartment free, so no big ass boxes for subs.
    Last edited by firelizard; 03-11-2006, 01:18 PM.

What you have now is a good start. If I were you I'd get a 4 channel amplifier and do this:

1. Buy component speakers. The brand isn't so important, but try not to buy crap ones. For something affordable and decent I'd look at infinity. Run these off of your amplifiers front 2 channels
    2. Buy a 10 inch sub and put it in a sealed box. That won't take up much space and the output should be fine if you get something decent. Look at JL 10w6's or maybe Alpine type-r's for something inexpensive and easily obtainable. Look at local pawn shops, you can usually find cheap JL subs in boxes, but avoid the w0 and w3 series since they probably can't keep up with amped components. Run the subwoofer bridged off of your rear channels in the amp. If you decide to get a w6, keep in mind that you'll have to get a beefier amp since it will run at 3 ohms. If you get the alpine or whatever else sub, look for SVC 4 ohms or DVC 2 or 8 ohms, that way you can wire it to 4 ohms, which your amp will probably make the most power at safely.

Comment

1967cutlass is on the right track. start with a 4 channel amp and some components. set a budget and start shopping from there. if you post how much you are wanting to spend, i'm sure we can help you pick out some equipment. once you've got the amp and comps picked out, then start shoping for a sub, since that will dictate what impedance you need.

Comment

Yeah listing a budget would be helpful. There are better deals to be found online usually as well, I listed things you could find locally.

Comment

Okay well, I don't want to cheap out too much and end up with crap so I'm setting aside in my head $250 for the front components that I've pretty much already picked out but please feel free to suggest other things.
          I don't want to spend more than $120 bucks on a sub, since I know I can get a decent under-500w 10" for that price range. Amps are the hard part, they're expensive as you all know, so I'll be looking at used ones most likely.
          These are my rear speakers.

Comment

well, i'd say get an alarm.

Comment

For components I'd pick one of the following
              1. something from CDT
              2. something from adire
              3. DIY with seas drivers (best SQ most likely provided you put effort into the install)

For the sub you have a lot of options,

That looks promising, although I'd still suggest finding a used 10w6.

As for the amp, if you don't already, sign up at soundillusions.net/carstereos.org and browse the used forsale section, they're usually trustworthy

Comment

if you need a dual 4 ohm sub:

ID overstock

if you need a dual 2 ohm sub:

another ID overstock

those are directly from image dynamics. can't really beat them for the price.

$300 for this amp is a pretty decent deal.

it'll power the dual 2 ohm sub perfectly.

if you order the amp from cardomain, you might as well pick up some components from them as well.

all in all you'd be out about $565, not taking into consideration an enclosure for the sub and a wiring kit.

Comment

if you wanna spend a bit more for quality:

call your local DLS dealer, you can generally get them for about $210.

and for an amp:

you could probably get that amp for less at a local DLS dealer as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X