Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mount deeper speakers in your door panels (1st gen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mount deeper speakers in your door panels (1st gen)

So I was in the junkyard just now, and I recently installed front door speakers in my 1st gen Protege. I chose speakers that had the three-point mounting brackets and a shallow enough mounting depth to be straight OEM replacements.

While I was researching, I noted that people had succeeded with deeper, 4-point speakers by drilling extra holes and adding a hand-built trim ring.

Well, I just noticed that the Kia Sephia of that same generation has the same three-point speaker mounts in the doors (they appear to be identical doors to the 1st gen Protege, under the skin) -- but mounted in them is a plastic piece that provides at least an additional inch of mounting depth, and has 4-point mounts for a speaker.

Dunno if the OEM speaker on this plastic piece is a 6.5 or a 5.25, and certainly the OEM Protege door panel won't clear the ring (the Sephia has a much deeper speaker box attached to the panel) -- but an enterprising person might find a way to put these things to good use, so wanted to mention it here.

And by the way, the Sony XPlod GT1625A 6.5" speakers are perfect OEM replacements for the OEM Protege front door speakers (1st gen), no drilling or cuts or trim rings necessary.
    Once upon a time, I had a 1993 Protege LX with about 34,000 miles -- owned by my family since new, got it from my dad two years prior with about 18,000 (and two of the original tires) -- then I gifted it to a friend who needed a car. Now it has come back to me with 55,000 and a smoke-laden interior (plus lots of little broken things), so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

how do the 6.5's fit if the stock driver are 5.25?
    92 DX - Wrecked on 1/6/08
    2000 ES w/ MSP drivetrain swap
    If you have a daily-drivable 5sp Familia (any gen) you want to trade hit me up

Comment

The original speakers are 16mm in diameter, and a maximum depth of 45mm, otherwise your window will hit the magnet.

Comment

anyone ever think to shave the glass to fit larger speakers?
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Impossible IMO, if the glass is up it barely hits the top, so if you start shaving then you'll end up with a windhole I guess.

You can use a 5-8mm wooden ring to fill the space up a little, and it won't hit the panel, so you'll be safe if you do that, then the depth become 50/53mm

Comment

i know its close like ou said but you can take some out, how much i've yet to really check.
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I'm curious if you will get away with it

Comment

Working...
              X