Speaker Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker Fit

I want to put some 6x9's in the rear deck underneath the rear window. i know people have done it because i have seen it my question is have any of you done it and was there any trouble in fitting them? My SE came with 5.25's in the back so i thought it might cause trouble. Your expeirance?
    MY RIDE
    sigpic

I used the templates provided with my 6x9's and a die grinder to cut the rear deck to fit the 6x9's. Then, drilled holes to screw them in. It was an undertaking. If you use a die grinder, cover the rear window in something that will not easily catch fire. I have used grocery sacks and masking tape in the past but I skipped this step on my Pro and destroyed my rear window. The tint looks bubbled because of all the steel stuck to the window. I still have not gotten around to peeling the tint, scraping the window & retinting.

Unfortunately, this is the only picture I took of the 6x9 installation.
    Last edited by martiniac; 01-20-2008, 09:53 AM.
    miss my '93 LX at every corner
    photo album
    Catch me on Facebook

Comment

You can also mount them to the underside of the deck if you prefer not to cut or keep it stealth. You may need to make a spacer ring from abs sheet of wood.
      2003 Protege5
      1990 Protege LX (sold)
      1990 Protege DX (sold)
      1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

Originally posted by cojsl View Post
        You can also mount them to the underside of the deck if you prefer not to cut or keep it stealth. You may need to make a spacer ring from abs sheet of wood.
        Hey, I'm actually thinking installing 6'x9' and keeping it stealth. What would you need spacers for though, and where would you put them? Can't you just drill them into the underside and go?
        1993 Protege SE

Comment

Originally posted by brownj218 View Post
          Hey, I'm actually thinking installing 6'x9' and keeping it stealth. What would you need spacers for though, and where would you put them? Can't you just drill them into the underside and go?
          You won't need to make spacers if your 6x9s come with a spacer ring. The spacer ring is just to keeps the surround and cone from hitting the deck if you bottom mount them.
          2003 Protege5
          1990 Protege LX (sold)
          1990 Protege DX (sold)
          1992 626 (sold)

Common abbreviations and jargon on Club Protege: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34116

Comment

if you really want to do it correctly, here are the steps i recommend. although this is the most tedious way to do it, the difference in sound quality, primarily bass response, will be notably better.
            1) flip the back seat down and remove the 3rd brake light & rear deck (flat top piece)
            2) carefully mark out your 6x9 ovals (left & right) onto the top of the now exposed metal deck. use common sense & a template and do your best to keep them symetrical.
            3) get an airsaw (preferred) or jigsaw (to be used from beneath) and cut your openings being careful not destroy the car or yourself in the process. airsaw is much preferred due to maneuverability and ease of use. it's possible to do this with a jigsaw but much more difficult.
            4) temporarily put the rear deck back in place and lightly mark your openings from beneath.
            5) pull the rear deck back out, flip it over and mark more visibly using your 6x9 template.
            6) carefully cut your rear deck piece while it is out of the car, preferably on a work bench - much easier than doing it in the car.
            7) once all the cutting is done, drill your 4 holes (1/8 inch) per speaker for the mounting screws.
            8) mount 'em, wire 'em up, and enjoy.

note: if you top mount the speakers, they'll seat better and deliver more solid bass response as opposed to bottom mounting where it's difficult to get a good seal. ask any experienced car audio installer and they'll concur with this advice. i spent 17 years in installation and have had more than a bit of schooling and trial & error. there are more advanced ways to approach the above install, but my advice is intended for weekend ameteurs.
            Last edited by CRXTED; 02-23-2008, 12:24 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

WOW. big mahalos to all you guys. i got some stock 6x9's from my friends old car cuz he got a system. and i only took them cuz they were better that the mazda stocks that were old and worn, and im getting some Polk 6x9's from my cousin (God i love my hook ups) i didnt realize that they werent going to fit easily.
              I
              STAY
              HI

Comment

Working...
              X