94 protege head unit wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 protege head unit wiring

Hey, got my new head unit from legacy[it's a cheapo, but i don't care]. And i got the scosche adapter and even the dash install kit. But I'm having some issues with wiring it up. I read the wires and some of them match up. The head unit only has two wires for the left speakers, and two for the right. but the adapter has a positive and negative for each of the 4 speakers. The unit has a power supply wire, but not on the adapter. So on and so forth with non matching wires. I have some of them matched up. but im not sure where they all go. and i don't want to mess up anything. Please help. and here are some pictures.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

theres the manual for your $30 head unit.

It cleary states it only has 2 power outputs. (page 7)
    Which would be fine if your car had 2 speakers.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

wow

Well thanks a lot.
      But seeing as how my sister had done some electrical work in the military, I picked her brain some. Well after much conversation, we decided that since the head unit had only 1 wire for each speaker, but the adaptor had 2 for each speaker, it would be okay to just hook 2 into 1. And well it worked. I've yet to put it all the way in, but all the test fits have worked.
      But to all who consider buying cheap head units. let me just say. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! and 30 dollars ain't ****.

Comment

What you are essentially doing is wiring two sets of speakers in parallel, therefore halving their impedance. Car head units usually expect 4Ω speakers, but now it will 'look' like 2Ω speakers to the head unit. Basically, if you turn up the volume loud enough, the paralleled speakers could draw twice as much current as a single speaker would. This could cause distortion and might even end up killing the head unit and/or speakers.

--Ferdi

Edit: I guess you could also have wired them in series, which would then just not allow you to play as loud as the speakers would equal 8Ω.
        Last edited by ftjandra; 08-20-2008, 11:13 PM.
        If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
        -----
        Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
        Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
        Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

so less Ω is better... i never understood what was the difference between 4Ω or 2Ω?
          323 log-http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44611

Comment

Working...
          X