the madness never ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, you can do that...
    in my case I used a 3 way switch and wired a resistor so that the switch goes like this -- HIGH(no resistor, light is connected direclty to 12V)/OFF/LOW(going through a 50ohm resistor). The resistor value is up to you actually. Experiment with different values till you see the desired light output.

Here's what I have in my eD box:

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
      yeah, you can do that...
      in my case I used a 3 way switch and wired a resistor so that the switch goes like this -- HIGH(no resistor, light is connected direclty to 12V)/OFF/LOW(going through a 50ohm resistor). The resistor value is up to you actually. Experiment with different values till you see the desired light output.

that's pretty cool how much does the 50 ohm resistor dim the light? i'll have to look through my resistors and see what i've got lying around here

Comment

[QUOTE=Intruder]yeah, you can do that...
        [QUOTE]

so do you have a switch somewhere on the sub or is it in your car??

I was thinking of sticking a neon in my sub.. but a Cathode would work better, seeing the size difference..
        Just my electrical knowledge is seriously limited... what do you have it hooked up to??
        <---

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
        RB springs
        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
        MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
          that's pretty cool how much does the 50 ohm resistor dim the light? i'll have to look through my resistors and see what i've got lying around here
          try out different values... that's my best advise the 50ohm resistor dimmed mine about 50%. as it turned out that whole thing wasn't necessary. the black walls of the enclosure absorb a huge amount of light and act like a dimming resistor, so I've never had to switch the light to LOW.

Lil Freek, I have a switch on the back of the sub. Here's a pic:

Here are a few more pics:

HIGH mode

LOW mode (notice the intensity of the light - it's as bright as on HIGH with the painted walls)

Here are the two boards stacked together. The one on top is the one that powers the CCFL, the one below is my switch/dimming circuit. Later I had to spearate them because I found out that the CCFL cable cannot be extended without getting huge amounts of loss in light intensity. I wasn't able to figure out a way to extend the cable without dimming the light, so I had to extend the cable that's powering the CCFL circuit (12V) rather than the cable between the CCFL and it's circuit (500V). Blue, you might wanna take that into account.

Some other misc. shots:

The relay is visible here, and so is the CCFL circuit which is mounted on one of the vent walls...

I have the light hooked up to the remote wire of the HU. I am using a relay to turn on the light. I have it connected to 12V coming off the car battery and the remote wire from the HU. Basically all these connections are made on the sub amp's terminals. In the pics above you can see two cables coming out of the terminal cup - gray is 12V + and - (goes to the + and - terminal on the amp), white is remote wire (goes to the remote wire terminal on the amp). When the sub amp turns on, so does the relay in the sub box and lets juice from the battery flow to the switch/dimming circuit, and the light goes on.

by the way, those pics are old. they wer taken while I was putting the thing together. I didn't really have to disassemble my enclosure to show you guys what it looks like on the inside.

Comment

it was all looking great, till the duct tape

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
              I was asking about the sound quality/level, not the dimming.
              Tell me about your new enclosures! How do you like the sound now compared to two subs sealed together.

As for the 9815, I'm going to sell it. You may remember that I had the 9807 and I was thinking about buying the 9813 or the 9815. Well I got the 9815 about two months ago and sold the 9807 on ebay just recently (I got $202.50 for it which IMO is a good amount of money considering the fact that I paid ~$220 when I got it brand new).

So tell me about your subs and how you like them better - one sub with more power in a sealed box, two subs in a sealed box, or the way they are now. Is there a huge difference between the sealed and the two vented boxes. Also, do you have the e12K.44 or the .14 subs?
              I have always had sealed enclosures except when I had a full size GMC Jimmy, I used a crappy prefab bandpass box. I liked two versus one, even though one had a little more juice (100 watts more) when in a sealed enclosure. I have yet to try it (single versus dual subs) since the ported boxes Blue LEDz designed and made for me. The weather has been really crappy, so it may be later in the week or weekend when I get to it. As far as the ported box sound, I am much more satisfied with it. I wish I had 100 watts per sub more though and I'd be set! With adequate highs and mids, increased bass sounds really good without sounding like it is too much bass.

An example is a friend of mine who had 2 Kicker 10s powered by good sized amp and the headunit powering a pair of 6x9s in his doors of a Toyo P'up. The bass was great and you really felt it behind the seat. I could here him coming from blocks away, but his highs sucked! You could not here it when the bass hit.

I'll let you know how it sounds with one sub hooked up versus two in the ported box.
              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
              Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
                I'll let you know how it sounds with one sub hooked up versus two in the ported box.
                Alright, thanks!
                I don't have to worry about power. My amp has 1100W at 1ohm
                If I get another 12K.44 and hook both of them in parallel I'll have a 1 ohm speaker(s) and be pushing 1100W into it (550 to each speaker). The K's are rated at something like 350, so I gotta be really careful.

Blue, I was going to use bandaids but did not have enough of them and the proper size... j/k!!! that duct tape was temporary... just so I can see how the cable has to be run

Comment

lol, don't get me wrong, duct tape is extremely useful i use it all the time, but i am half redneck, so that's to be expected

Comment

this doesn't include the 3 brand new 8's in their boxes

Comment

can i have half your paycheck one week?

2000 White Protege LX
                      Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                      2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                      Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
                      Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
                      Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
                      Kenwood Music Keg
                      Black Widow Keyless Entry
                      Intake- Custom SRI
                      Clear Corner Lights
                      APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

can i have half your brain for a day?
                        at least i'll be able to rewire my whole car, trouble-free

RB springs
                        Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

how much do you wot for some of those parts

Comment

Originally posted by Mazdapower6666
                            how much do you wot for some of those parts
                            what would you like? i'll cut you a good deal, since i got such a good deal on it

Originally posted by Brad
                            can i have half your paycheck one week?
                            lol, half my regular pay for one week is only $213 and that's before taxes

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                            can i have half your brain for a day?
                            at least i'll be able to rewire my whole car, trouble-free
                            just cause i know how to do it right doesn't mean i always take the time to do it "properly"

Comment

blue... you an online dealer now?
                              if so... i'll buy all my audio stuff from you!

RB springs
                              Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Freek
                                blue... you an online dealer now?
                                if so... i'll buy all my audio stuff from you!

not yet but if there's anything you are looking for, i can either direct you to a good cheap online site, or i'll see what my distributor can get after i get off active duty for the army i'll be checking in the my distributor and see what brands they are carrying now.

Comment

Working...
                                X