radio display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radio display

my 01 protege radio digital display is wacky, I can only read some of the radio station numbers, they are not complete. Any advice or fixes

sounds like ur h.u is packing it in.. have you checked the plugs on the back yet ???

Comment

Originally posted by tireboy View Post
      sounds like ur h.u is packing it in.. have you checked the plugs on the back yet ???
      what is hu, if i push on the radio lcd display the radio station numbers show clearly when i let go the lcd shows half the numbers and half the letters

Comment

the LCD board is going on the headunit (HU) time to replace the radio unfortunately
        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
          the LCD board is going on the headunit (HU) time to replace the radio unfortunately
          Gotta be kidding, why cant I take the lcd out and try to modify it or try to push it back together, or where do i get a stock replacement cheap, I know not at a dealer.

Comment

scrap yard . or maybe some one on here may have one ???

Comment

01 protege radio

looking for a stock 01 protege radio/cd digital radio with working lcd can call me bill 630 768 0445 thank you

Comment

Originally posted by bill kogos View Post
                Gotta be kidding, why cant I take the lcd out and try to modify it or try to push it back together, or where do i get a stock replacement cheap, I know not at a dealer.
                im drawing from my electronics class from highschool here so bare with me:

on your basic monochrome lcd passing current thru the liquid crystal excites the molecules and causes them to shift and appear opaque. when you push on the display you are doing the same thing, hence the waves of semi opaque colors that move farther away the harder you push.

this does not mean the lcd is separated, and if you can see the time when you do this then most likely the lcd board is shorted or the the diodes ( i dont remember) soldered to the board are failing to pass current.

so yeah replacement is the next step unless your good with a soldering iron and want to pull it apart and check for separated solder joints.

ill keep an eye out in the yard this weekend to see if i can find a replacement radio, otherwise check ebay and craigslist, most people sell them for not much for than beer money when they put in an aftermarket head unit
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by bill kogos View Post
                  my 01 protege radio digital display is wacky, I can only read some of the radio station numbers, they are not complete. Any advice or fixes
                  I'm afraid the same thing is happening to my OEM '02 radio.

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                  im drawing from my electronics class from highschool here so bare with me:

on your basic monochrome lcd passing current thru the liquid crystal excites the molecules and causes them to shift and appear opaque. when you push on the display you are doing the same thing, hence the waves of semi opaque colors that move farther away the harder you push.

this does not mean the lcd is separated, and if you can see the time when you do this then most likely the lcd board is shorted or the the diodes ( i dont remember) soldered to the board are failing to pass current.

so yeah replacement is the next step unless your good with a soldering iron and want to pull it apart and check for separated solder joints.

ill keep an eye out in the yard this weekend to see if i can find a replacement radio, otherwise check ebay and craigslist, most people sell them for not much for than beer money when they put in an aftermarket head unit
                  I want my molecules back!

Happy Hertz!
                  02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                  MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                  MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                  Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                  MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                  Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                  Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                  Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                  Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                  Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                  Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                  Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                  Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

01 protege radio

seems like such an easy fix, if i touch it the display works fine.....I dont even know how to take the radio out let alone fix the lcd. Does anyone know where the blower relay is behind the dash before i start ripping into it. Just bought a new one at Mazda. second and third speed do not work the ac. thank you Bill 630 768 0445

Comment

Working...
                    X