Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo noise????

Hey Guys..

I just put in a new sterio in my P5.. I have done everything right from what i know how to do.. Ran my RCA down the passenger side, Power down the drivers side. USed 4 Guage wire, Grounded my deck to the chasis and the amp to the chasis.. BUt im still getting an alt whine!!!! it gets worse if i turn on my lights???? i am going bald from pulling all my hair out!!!!!!

Anyhelp would be great...

Tom

This thread would probably get more help in the Audio section where I'm moving it.
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

well, one suggestion i have off hand as tired as i am, unbolt your ground wire thats grounding your amplifier and scrape that **** down to bare metal with a screw driver. aside from that, could be wiriing, faulty equipment.. who knows. what kind of setup exactly did you go about installing? this may help us
      peace

Comment

I put in a pioneer premier deck and a clarion APX 401.4 amp with an mtx 6000 sub. Stinger 4 guage kit. I did grind down the ground when i instaled it..

Tom

Comment

Try a different grounding point.
          One more thing - blue LEDz (one of the audio gurus here) advised me to have a common grounding point between the HU and the amp. Try that if it's not too much of a hassle for you.

Comment

Try moving the RCAs to see if it is getting noise from being close to a groundwire or remote wire. Also, where did you ground your amp(s) at? You may try a different location to ground it. Lastly, if your RCA's are really cheap, you could be getting noise via RCAs even when pretty far from the main power wire. If it is the one that came with the kit, then I doubt that would be the case.
            2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
            KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
            Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
            Groundkit

Comment

well, I have said it before and will say it again. Upgrade your battery cables to better ground the battery and get a larger positve wire going to the battery and alternator. Go with at least 4 gauge for all of that. Another thing to check is the RCAs...Try another set and also make sure the connections between HU and RCA is not exposed by taping them over or using heat shrink

Comment

quite a bit of good advice here so far. Whine is injected first at the electrical system in the front of the car, then into the rcas, and then finally at the amp via grounding issue.
                In short it could be anywhere!
                Change off the power wire for the headunit, run it to avoid as much other electrical as you can. The fuse block is a good place to connect into for headunit power, this also is an easy way to get at a switched connection.
                Radioshack and Autozone both sell nice small piggyback fuse units that replace the original fuse and provide a second fused powerout.
                Next move the RCA cables. A good test if you have a spare set of RCA cables is bypass the entire current install of rca to see if the whine goes away. If it does you know your culprit in either the routing or the actual rca cables themselves. Keep the rca away from the blower fan of the heat/air, and any controls.
                Grounds can also be culprits. Try relocating the headunit powerwire to one of the bolts off of the firewall proper. Sand a little if you can to make it a good metal to metal contact. Do the same at the amp location. Tap the ground within 18 inches if you can, and the shorter the better! In the protege the rear seat belt bolts make a good ground.
                Also check your gain settings, as too wide open very often lets you hear a whine.
                Noise elemination can be fustrating, but also recognize with patience and some structured isolation of various components, you will be able to figure it out, and at least reduce the noise to a livable level for yourself!
                So let us know what works for you, and where the problem lies-
                Good Luck-
                David A. Cameron
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
                stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
                2004 Cooperworks Mini
                2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
                Sine Pari

Comment

yeah, what they said

Comment

Working...
                  X