amp shuts off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amp shuts off?

ok heres my prob i pray my new amp the sony 800w pentagon shaped amp at half valume on my deck and after about 3 songs it kicks out/ is this because the ground or did i wire something wrong?

Originally posted by smoomz
    ok heres my prob i pray my new amp the sony 800w pentagon shaped amp at half valume on my deck and after about 3 songs it kicks out/ is this because the ground or did i wire something wrong?

half volume on your deck means absolutely crap as far as diagnosing the problem. it sounds like you are probably just over taxing the amp, and it's over heating.

Comment

ie readjust your gains, check you've run the proper gauge wiring for your application ( http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...fiers_faq.html ).. this also involves determining what kind of load you are running on the amplifier and the amps actual output, clean up your ground to bare metal contact, make sure your ground isn't too long (under 1 or 2 feet i'd gauge). i mean, these suggestions are just general problems many people have. what happens after 3 songs, is the amp just going into auto-protect, or does it over-heat or feel too hot to touch? what are the specific model numbers for your subs and amps?
      peace

Comment

i like that crutchfield write up, i never new the heat sink fins need to run vertical...after burning up 3 or 4 amps this is really good to know.
        According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

**** sony

sony blows there amps are over rated and the subs sound like **** get alpine or mtx

Comment

just thinking about heat sinks running vertical.. think about it...heat rises .. just a thought, though on the sony amp, no matter what way you orient that thing.. heat sink shouldn't matter worth a crap.
            peace

Comment

You mentioned "half volume on my deck" which doesn't mean any thing if your gains are set wide open on the amp. What are the gains set on your amp? I agree with Blue, it sounds like it is overheating and shutting off as a safety measure.
              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
              Groundkit

Comment

Working...
              X