Need help my system sounds like complete ****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help my system sounds like complete ****

i have 2 12" cerwin vegas and a kicker 600.4 the vegas are 200watt rms 400 watt max at 4 ohms the kicker is bridged, the amp is the wrong amp that got ordered but it was off ebay and there is no return policy thanks to a friend of mine being a moron so i have to figure out what to do since im out of money, its powered right, grounded correctly and wired up correctly im pretty sure but it sounds like **** and doesnt hit anywhere near as hard as i think it should be , i had an old cerwin vega 12" powered by a 100 watt fosgate punch amp and it was louder and better sounding than the 2 i have now.

Sorry for the rambling and i dont expect my system to be the greatest in the world but it shouldnt be giving me this much trouble, i pulled the power to amp cause its that bad that i dont even wanna hear it. so any help is appreciated thank you

traditionally, 4 channel amps are NOT ideal for pushing subs. think about it this way, there are theoretically, 2 internal amps that work independent of each other, if i am correct. as such, you'd need two sets of rca's (4 plugs in total). what you may notice is if just running one set of inputs (2 plugs) and pulling one of the plugs out, the output/volume of the connected component (sub or speaker) is going to die down if you have the amplifier bridged to that component. for your current situation (at loss of sound quality), i'd take the one set of rca's you have running to that sub amplifer and head to best buy and pick up some y-cable splitters (watch your male and female ends). this may be the only way to rectify your situation if i understand it correctly. this may suffer with a little side of alternator noise or popping sounds coming from the subs during normal operation or during turn on/turn off, however, may be the only way to rectify your dilemma. in other words, if all input holes labled amp 1 & amp 2 do not have an rca cable in them, you're going to get jack **** out of it. the only other obvious suggestion i would have is make sure your cross-over filters, on the right side of the amp above the speaker outputs, make sure the cross-overs are BOTH set to Lo Pass. i mean, other issues could be the ohm load you're trying to run, i have not a clue how that would adversely affect the output of this amplifier. if these don't solve your problems, i'm at a loss to wonder how this amplifer is wired up, or if you recieved a half working amp, because at the least, these subs should hit to a good degree. any other suggestions?
    peace
    Last edited by Guest; 03-09-2004, 03:36 AM.

Comment

thank you ... the rca's are already split and from what i can tell the ohm load is correct ... the box i have is ****ty because it is temporary until i finish the new one it is really small actually i dont know if this has anything to do with it i checked to make sure the positive from each sub runs to the positive on the amp and so on and so forth but besides that i dont know what else could be wrong. I know briding and the splitting of the rcas is a loss of sound quality but in short and simple terms my system just straight sucks and i really dont think it should be this bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Drackonn
        thank you ... the rca's are already split and from what i can tell the ohm load is correct ... the box i have is ****ty because it is temporary until i finish the new one it is really small actually i dont know if this has anything to do with it i checked to make sure the positive from each sub runs to the positive on the amp and so on and so forth but besides that i dont know what else could be wrong. I know briding and the splitting of the rcas is a loss of sound quality but in short and simple terms my system just straight sucks and i really dont think it should be this bad.

the box is 90% of the sound, IMO. but if it is sounding THAT bad, then something else might not be right. is it just not getting loud enough? is there a farting sound? is it not playing the lower notes?

Comment

we figured it out ... exactly what you said blue, we noticed my sub looked like it was inverted i guess , sucking in instead of pushing out, after checking the wiring the wires were all correct but after doing some research found out that my box isnt even half the size of what is reccommended for my subs it is ridiculously too small so in a few days i will have my new box and see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
          X