Factory speaker wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory speaker wires

Might be a silly question, but I didn’t pay any attention in auto class when we started messing with car audio.

Is there a chance that the stock speaker wires can either go bad or can’t handle the power reqs of speakers I might install? I’m not using a sub yet, just some average range speakers, but the bass on them sucks in my car.

I’m about to get a new head put in, so I was thinking that maybe I could just get a cheap (500w) amp and run my speakers thru there instead.

I went looking to see what most people are doing with there setup on their pros, but it seems like everyone has an amp and a sub, so that route didn’t help me very much.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you stay below 70W RMS for the speakers your stock wiring should suffice.
    Being the case that the most powerful HUs are about 26W RMS/channel, you can hook up any set of speakers and not need upgraded wires for them.

50W RMS is very LOUD, and you can still use your stock wires. I don't know what kind of amp you're looking at (the 500W you mentioned) but it's most likely overrated (and maybe more than 2 channels)...

In my case, I have an Alpine 9815 HU powering my rear speakers (which are turned off and about to be removed), a set of component speakers in the front which are powered by a 50W amp --> plenty loud, and sounds good.
    Last edited by Intruder; 03-21-2004, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X