Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I use my DMM to test the preouts of my HU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I use my DMM to test the preouts of my HU?

Thanks .

I just need to know where i need to put the leads of the DMM.
    Last edited by Brahma15; 03-30-2004, 12:11 AM.
    Brahma15 + Cadence Z7000 =

Originally posted by Brahma15
    Thanks .

I just need to know where i need to put the leads of the DMM.

well, you could stick one lead in the hole of one of the RCA's, and the other on the outside, but that won't get you a truly accurate reading. you have to measure it with AC volts. i use a voltage divider i made running inline with the RCA's, so i can keep the RCA's hooked up the the processor or amp, but still measure the voltage. that way you keep the proper impedence that the HU sees.

Comment

And you connect that voltage divider... to what? Your laptop's sound card?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
        And you connect that voltage divider... to what? Your laptop's sound card?

yep i'm still trying to get it to work as an osciliscope

Comment

trying? are you having trouble? anything I could help with?

Comment

trying? are you having trouble? anything I could help with?

naw, it's just the program from what i can tell. if i route the sound card output directly back into the input, the wave is still not right it might just be the settings, but i downloaded 5 other programs to try.

Comment

maybe your soundcard isn't full duplex??
              I know my dad did an experiment like that but used 2 soundcards. Maybe there's a reason...

Comment

maybe your soundcard isn't full duplex??
                I know my dad did an experiment like that but used 2 soundcards. Maybe there's a reason...

could be, but i never even got it to work right when running off the HU at low voltage directly into my sound card

Comment

Im still having problems, i tried as you suggested but my DMM isnt displaying anything but 000.
                  Brahma15 + Cadence Z7000 =

Comment

It's probably not connected right, or you have not selected the proper range and it's giving you an "overload" error by the 000's. Just my guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X