Idea for HU install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea for HU install

I suddenly got an idea for installing my head unit... I'm curious if anyone's ever done this.

Has anyone seen the faceplate for the HU installed separately from the main unit? It seems simple enough to do, you'd just have to attach some wires from the pins in the face to the pins in the main unit, and then you could put the faceplate anywhere you want. This seems like it could be good for a couple creativity points at a competition.

Sometime I'll get around to doing it myself, but all my projects are on hold cause I'm selling my car, so I thought other people might be interested in the meantime. If anyone has done it or decides to do it, I'd like to see pictures.

You'd probably have to relocate the wiring harness, unless you would put the naked HU in the dash and the faceplate somewhere else

Comment

That's what I was thinking... I'd leave the HU in the dash with something covering everything but the CD slot, maybe a blank piece of plastic, maybe decoration, maybe system status lights, who knows. Then the faceplate could be mounted somewhere else entirely, where it was obvious the stereo was not behind it, for the full effect of having it separate.

Comment

If you put something over the HU (not just blank plastic) then it could look cool. Any ideas on faceplate location?

Comment

Not sure exactly, I was thinking about this for my new car, not the pro, so I don't have a really clear idea yet, but in the new car (a VW Quantum) the slot for the HU is up by the gauge cluster, and there's a lot of empty space for storage and such down near the shifter... I was thinking maybe mount the faceplate down below in the middle of a piece of clear plexiglass so it looks like it's floating or something like that. Once I get pictures of the new interior I'll try and photoshop something into it.

Comment

innnnnnnteresting. . . I like the floating idea

Comment

probably with lights shining through the edge of the plexiglass or something... or maybe shining through from behind

Comment

OOOOOO shiney objects!!!!!! Lights!!!!!! lol very cool

Comment

if u wanted some extra work u could put it behind the sun visor. that way u could just flip it over and noone would know it was there
                  i is dumb

Comment

That would make it too much work to change tracks or control the volume for my liking

Comment

what about the flip side of the visor, facing the floor

Comment

or u could mount it on the bottom of the rear view mirror
                        it would be ****ing sweet that way
                        i is dumb

Comment

Still seems too out of the way to me... I want something that looks cool for everyone to see, and still have my stereo easy to use

Comment

is there enuff room in the middle of the streeing wheel where the little rectangle and cirlcels are or is that space too small
                            i is dumb

Comment

airbags

Comment

Working...
                              X