Satellite Radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satellite Radios

Just wanted to know if any of those satellite radio systems are made to sit flush like a car stereo. All I have seen so far is those car kits where it sticks out.
    If you drive a Mazda...you made a wise choice
    <p>

Me if I were skinny

Well, if you get one that is controlled by the actual head unit then there would not be any controller to mount on the dash. Alpine, Sony and Pioneer make Headunit that control their XM tuners and Kenwood, Clarion and several other companies make Sirius compatible units.

For someone just getting into satellite radio, I would recommend the Alpine CDA-9820XM
    It has the XM tuner built in to the HU and all you need to add is an antenna and subscription.

Comment

The alpines are nice, won't kill the wallet either.

Comment

Yes the alpine XM Headunit would be your best deal.... if you got any other Alpine unit, the external XM unit is ~ $200 and so is most of the others

Comment

don't you need the xm tuner even if your HU is xm ready? Or do they have HU's that have the tuner built in now? I haven't been in the market recently, I know mine is xm ready but I would still need a tuner

Comment

wow, I guess it would help if I read the whole thread. . . disregard that last

Comment

this is where my opnion more favors the higher end pioneer/premier head units than the alpines, you can get an awesome headunit with tons of features, crossovers, 3 to 5 band parametric equalizer, and good looks to boot. the trade off is a cheaper option as far as tuner price and the availability of the tuner. most retailers have all but stopped carrying the alpine tuners, and the ones you can find are usually 200+ where as you could probably find the pioneer's tuner for around 100 on the net, 150 retail in some stores...depending on where you shop. clarion may also be a cheaper option to you as well, and while i've learned most of their units are out sourced/bought from other companies and some of the newer stuff is '****', their older products probably won't leave you hangin. aside from this, you can always go with Sirrius satellite. the programming is alright from what i've heard, and are more rapidly expanding the strength of their broadcasting network as compared to XM. will there be only two? i have no idea, i'm starting to get a gist of HDradio, offered on kenwood headunits that are supposed to give FM broadcasts CD quality, and AM broadcast's the sound of FM.. something to do research on never the less . i believe eventually, we're going to see a few more competitors in the satellite radio market, or they'll eventually just conglomerate into one company (something thats been speculated from some). to sum it up, satellite radio is an awesome option and whether it's clarion, pioneer, or alpine (all except that 1 head unit), you WILL have to purchase a tuner to get all the features you're looking for.
              peace

Comment

Okay hmmm well I looked at that alpine system Rider and wow almost $350. Right now that's a bit pricey for me. I have a jvc kameleon stereo just sitting in my apartment right now just haven't got it installed yet. It's brand new. But I noticed that some of those satellite tuners are small and thought that maybe there was one to fit in that extra space below the cd player. Anything else that I could put there that would be small yet useful?. Just want to make use of all the space that's there. And thanks for replying in the first place everyone!
                If you drive a Mazda...you made a wise choice
                <p>

Me if I were skinny

Comment

get a turbo and put the boost/oil temp/oil press gauges there

Comment

just get a pocket to store a cd magazine in under the radio.. without spending money, without wanting to buy additional equpiment. either than that, i'd recommend a 1/2 din equalizer, but it's mostly useless unless you're amping and replacing all of your speakers.
                    peace

Comment

Working...
                    X