positive/negative needed 1st gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

positive/negative needed 1st gen

The sticky regarding wiring etc doesn't tell which wire is pos/neg for the 1st gen speaker wires. Anyone know what this is? I destroyed the Mazda connector to solder on regular terminals but they're both the same shape, no big n' little. there's a test you can do with an ohmmeter but I can't remember what it is either. BTW my Dad says its all BS anyway and to hook the speakers up any old way.

You won't hurt the speakers by hooking them up wrong but if they're not wired the same on both sides they'll sound bad. Just try it both ways, one of them will sound better.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
      Just try it both ways, one of them will sound better.
      Not true. They will both sound the same if you listen to them separately. If you have both speakers playing and one is hooked up in reverse, cancellation will occur and you will notice a drop in low frequency response.

You can try playing some music and using your balance knob. Mute the right channel then play both channels. If you notice a drop in bass when you have both speakers playing as opposed to just one, you know that one is flipped. Reverse polarity on one side and you're set. Repeat the same procedure for the rears, and when you have those sounding right, you can use the fader on your head unit to see if the front and the rear sets are "in phase".

The "ohmmeter" tests for continuity. You hook up one of the meter's probes at the HU and you test each of the speaker wires (doors, and rear dash) to see which one is which. Even in this case you must know which wire on the harness is positive and negative, so unless you know that, you're out of luck.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant listening to them together. I had mine wired wrong for a month or so before I figured out what was going on.

Comment

Working...
        X