Got an XM tuner.. and a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got an XM tuner.. and a question.

Hey, I got the Alpine XM tuner and I'm ready to hook it up to my XM ready HU, but I don't know how to install the antenna. I got it on ebay and it didn't come with instructions since it was used... I'm sure there's no need for drilling, but where am I supposed to route the signal wire, how do I get it to the receiver inside...?
    Attached Files

Isn't wiring your specialty?

I would probably drill a hole just big enough for the wire, mount the antenna over the top of it, fill the hole around the wire with silicone sealant and stick the antenna down with the same stuff, and then hide the wire inside from wherever it comes from. I have a couple of holes in my trunk filled with silicone, they've never leaked in almost a year.

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
      Isn't wiring your specialty?
      The electrical part of it - yes. I'd love to solder the thing in place, but that doesn't work.

Fortunately, I found an installation guide. Here's a snapshot.
      I think I'll do fine... Problem is that the previous owner cut the wire, and now I have to open the antenna and solder it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Oh, I thought the antenna stuck up from the roof and the wire came off the base, not out of the end of the antenna.

Comment

you plug the the antena into the xm tuner (grey thing) and then you run the AI net cable to the radio area and then plug the ai net cable into the ai net input (which doesnt come with the kit i dont belive. its about 30$'s) the cable plugs into the cable big dark green cable wit hthe goofy end. then im not sure but you have to go in to the F menu and enable XM, or it will do it automaticaly I think if you have AUX enabled. im pretty sure thats how everything hooks up.

Comment

First off. From what I have gathered, there is really no need to mount it outside the car. I have seen applications where it is mounted on the dash (off to the corner) or on the rear deck. If you mount it inside the car, there is no need to worry about running the wires from outside. The antenna wires connect to the tuner and then the tuner to the HU via a special cable. You got an Alpine Tuner? I take it you have an Alpine HU too? Then there should be no problems.

P.S. You're gonna love it.

Comment

Aaron, I forgive you for insulting my intelligence.... I know what plugs where, and there is no need for the AUX input module. The XM tuner plugs into the back of the HU into the Ai-net input.

Mike, thanks. I read somewhere that the antenna HAS to be installed outside. Terk (the antenna's manufacturer) advises that I should go back to the installer and make them install the antenna outside or I will experience reception problems. I guess I'll try it inside first, and if I see any problems I'll try mounting it outside.

I was really unclear as to how the antenna gets mounted and how its cable goes inside the car (I did not want to put ANY holes in my roof for the cable). I found a manual, and I saw what needs to be done - the antenna is glued to the roof and the wire goes under the moulding of the rear window. Got it!
              Last edited by Intruder; 05-11-2004, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I couldn't see putting that big thingy on my roof. I think you should test it and see what reception is like with it on the rear deck.

I wonder if the reception would really be hurt that much .I have a kenwood radio, that has the sirus option stuff. I don't know how good that is supposed to be, nor how much it costs.
                Does anyone know?
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

It is similar to XM, Bruce.
                  XM subscription is $9.99 a month for 100 digital, commercial free channels. I don't know much about Sirius, but I'm sure prices are very similar, and so is programming. You would need to buy the Sirius tuner though, and an antenna.

Comment

I've seen XM antenne's mounted on the trunk, with the cable just going in that way. . . just another option, as long as it wouldn't pinch i suppose

Comment

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                      I've seen XM antenne's mounted on the trunk, with the cable just going in that way. . . just another option, as long as it wouldn't pinch i suppose
                      Yeah, I'm considering this as well, but I think it'll look best on the roof. It's cool like that.

Comment

ok well i wasnt sure bitch. make it more clear next time!!!!

Comment

You've got to remember that the antenna is picking up signal from a satellite. Its the same thing as the sattelite on your house, the less things in the way, the better the reception. There is gonna be hardly anything in the way when its on the roof as opposed to when its on the rear deck. Half the time the car will be blocking it. It will still work but it will work better on the roof.
                          01 ES, jokingly referred to as the Slotege.

Get off my headlight dim biatch. I like it that way. Soon, I'll have enough stuff to make the car shut down because I'll be drawing too much power. Then I'll be happy.

Comment

OK, mounting aside... I have another problem.

Upon un-installation, the previous owner CUT the antenna's wires. The two wires are completely identical and yet, they have to be connected exactly as they were before. It turns out that the antenna is actually two antennae in one - ground and satellite. I have no idea what would happen if I flip the two wires.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Any insights?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                              OK, mounting aside... I have another problem.

Upon un-installation, the previous owner CUT the antenna's wires. The two wires are completely identical and yet, they have to be connected exactly as they were before. It turns out that the antenna is actually two antennae in one - ground and satellite. I have no idea what would happen if I flip the two wires.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Any insights?
                              photo??
                              photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                              X