4" Speakers in a 1st gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4" Speakers in a 1st gen?

I have a 1991 LX, I've replaced the backs with 6.5", and the front door speakers with 6.5" Pioneer 3 ways. I notice that there is what LOOKS like a place for speakers on the lower dash. On the passenger side it's right next to the door of hte glove compartment, and the driver's side it's on right to the left of the steering wheel below cruise control and mirror controls. Are these actually places for speakers? They LOOK an awful lot like they could be for speakers, what with the circular lines and such. Does anyone know anything about these?

Once you take the plastic cover, there's just a metal plate underneath. I guess you could install speakers there, but you'll have to custom mount them somehow. I thought about doing that a few years back but never got around to it.
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Humm....Alright, I'll see what i can do tomorrow. Can I take the plates out and still be able to screw in the glove compartment? Because I just took the passenger side out and the glove compartment fell on the floor and dumped my stuff allllll over the place.

Comment

honestly, whether or not it can be done, unless you're going with a 3 way setup, i wouldn't even bother trying to fit extra dash speakers in there.. i don't know, i just don't think the imaging would sound right firing downward like thatat the cost of running extra wires and having to amp the speakers, you'll be better off leaving well enough alone.
        thats just humble opinion
        peace

Comment

True, true. I'm still sorta trying to figure out if I really want to do it. I just couldn't ever figure out why they put speaker looking grilles there if there isn't a spot for speakers. Just a thought.
          EDIT:
          I'm going to go ahead and return those. I agree with Kevin, it's just going to take too much effort for the minimal results. Thanks for the insight.
          Last edited by HappyCamper; 05-18-2004, 08:16 AM.

Comment

i mounted speakers there. When i get home i'll post up pics.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
              i mounted speakers there. When i get home i'll post up pics.
              What size? Did you take that metal piece off or did you mount the actual speaker on it?
              '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

I have a 3way comp set. I mounted a 4" mid there.

I can't remeber if i removed the metal plates or modified them. But i did form new plates out of ABS plastic and mounted those to either the mod'd metal plates or the brackets the metal plates went to.

I'll post up the pics in like an hour.

BTW, only the 90 and 91 models had the dash panels with the speaker grilles. 92+ just has solid panels.

Comment

these are old pics, but ya still get the idea.

Comment

Awesome! Might have to undertake that project sometime next year as I am not all that happy with the speakers up front.
                    '91 LX

Comment

can't say that having them pointing at my knees is a good thing, but at the time i was determined to install them anyway

The panels where pretty easy to make. I used 12x12 sheets of ABS, heated em up with a heat gun to shape them.

Comment

*heads back to store*

D'oh, I don't have money. I'll have to wait until next check. But...is that how your panels look all of the time? or is there a cover over them at all?

Comment

Working...
                        X