Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Speakers are better buys...

than Infinity Reference speakers?

I'm looking for replacement rear speakers for my RX-7. I don't want a sub in the back to handle the bass, so I need an all around speaker. At the local Circuit City I listened to the speakers they had in stock, and the Infinity Reference is the best sounding among the 6.5" (the size i need) speakers they have available.

my question to you guys, what other speakers, in the same price range ($99 list), that you have heard, will outperform these Infinity Reference speakers (6002i)?

I don't care for $20 ebay specials that are cheap but sound like crap, so only give me opinions on legitimately superior products than the Infinity

thanks!

'04 Titanium RX-8

Coaxial speakers you mean?

My sister's fiancee bought a pair of CDT component speakers after I got mine, he previously had infinity reference components, he likes these WAY more. They were a little over $100, I think.
    Dan
    dreesemonkey

Comment

coaxials yes.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Look into Phoenix Gold. . . they're usually pretty reasonably priced. Sounddomain carries them, I'm not sure who else does.

Comment

I agree that spending the extra money (About $50) is worth the effort in gettign some decent components like the CDT CL-61a series from thezeb.com http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=1083

Will sound much much better than the infinitys. Take it a step further and add this amp http://www.thezeb.com/detail.aspx?ID=5478 for $50. So for $200 you can have good components and an amp delivered to your door. You will be much happier in the long run.

Comment

i just want something i can swap in and play, this is a track car, i just want more bass fill from the back, i'm not considering any amps or components, just extra weight for me to carry around IMO.

so yeah, any other recommendations for COAXIAL 2-3 way speakers?? 6.5" size

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Don't expect any decent bass out of the Infinity's anyway.

I run Infinity and like 'em fine - but they are NOT the speaker to buy if you want bass.

They will, however, sound good with only deck power.

You're in a tough spot - you don't want an amp, so speakers with a high sensitivity rating will suit you better; they'll get louder and sound better with the low power from a deck.

But the trade-off for high sensitivity is poor bass/midbass output. Speakers with better bass output are usually lower sensitivity (and designed to be run with an amp for best performance). So they won't do all that well with deck power.

~HH

Comment

i think our definition of 'more bass' is different

you remember how the stock Protege5 stereo's bass sounds like? well right now I have even less than that in my RX-7 (thank 13 year old stereo technology for that!)

I don't expect (nor want) glass-shaking bass power, but I do want to hear/feel SOMETHING when I have bass-heavy music playing

and yes I will only be running deck power, 30w x 4 cheapass Jensen HU hahahha

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Working...
                X