This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhinomx3
    hey thanks for the comments, i'm running stock boost right now...my 2nd gear synchro is shot so i'm gonna pull the motor again next summer and get a tranny rebuild and hopefully throw in an LSD.

i only have one motor mount filled right now (front tranny). at first you will notice more vibration around 2250 RPM but after a week you will get used to it.

anyone have any idea about how much a tranny rebuild costs? anything i can do to beef it up a little more, besides an LSD?

you putting that GTX into a V6 frame? i heard it is quite a bit harder than putting it into an I4 like mine...hopefully all goes well.
    For the tranny I got quoted at a Amaco Transmission for anywhere at $400 to $600, thats new bearings, re-sealed and anything other random stuff. That's if you bring them the tranny. Otherwise if you know what you are doing, or have a hookup, a good rebuild should only cost like $200 or cheaper.

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

Originally posted by rhinomx3
      hey thanks for the comments, i'm running stock boost right now...my 2nd gear synchro is shot so i'm gonna pull the motor again next summer and get a tranny rebuild and hopefully throw in an LSD.

i only have one motor mount filled right now (front tranny). at first you will notice more vibration around 2250 RPM but after a week you will get used to it.

anyone have any idea about how much a tranny rebuild costs? anything i can do to beef it up a little more, besides an LSD?

you putting that GTX into a V6 frame? i heard it is quite a bit harder than putting it into an I4 like mine...hopefully all goes well.
      lol, yeah. Its not that bad, just need all mounts, and few other things from the Protege LX to make it work... I have everything I need, just got to slap it together between work and school.

No clue about the tranny rebuild, but if your there, get the gears shot peened for added strength. Some go as far as cryo treating the synchros/gears, but thats a bit far IMO.

pics to come here shortly, as I am getting anxious, and its all about to come together.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Haven't updated in a while so here we go:

Got SS lines (thanks to darryl) installed with the brembos, and pads. Brakes are a bit tight, but I have a feeling after I bleed them, they shouldn't rub.

Started wiring the motor last nite.... thats going to be fun.

Biggest news of all: I am going t3. The VJ-20 was sooo small, and dave had a good deal on a t3 with miata mani that I just couldn't pass up. (That and you can buy flanges to make an exhaust vs. fabbing them like I was for the GTX. I already have the SAFC-II (yeah I know it blows, but it will get me by) and a MBC to turn up the boost when I get her dyno tuned.

I know I need to get some pics (badly), but dragging out the camera and batteries for it is a PITA :p: I know I need to though.

Gah, still not running.... kinda makes me

Comment

look waht i found, not sure what turbo its for tho..
          Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.

maybe T3...

Comment

Originally posted by jitb37
            look waht i found, not sure what turbo its for tho..
            Mazdas247 is an independent community featuring Discussion Forums, Classifieds and Resources for Mazda vehicles.

maybe T3...
            looks like it, thanks for the link.

I found a place that sells the flanges.. I am gonna make my own of my own design.

Comment

Pics to show that I have made progress... lol
              Attached Files

Comment

Sweet. Watch out for those exposed SS lines though. They can be dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                  Sweet. Watch out for those exposed SS lines though. They can be dangerous.
                  Yeah I remember reading about that... I plan on getting some surgical tubing and seeing if I can mod it on there... something not too ghetto if I can help it.

Comment

How the **** have I missed this thread until now?! I just saw it in your sig! Subscribed!

Why are they "dangerous"? Talkin' about road debris getting in them?
                    My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                    - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

dirt/small stones get under the braided metal and rub against the rubber inside hose eventually wearing through.

Comment

Oh, yeah, heard of that...I thoguht you meant dangerous as it'd slice your tire or some wack idea like that.

I personally wouldn't cover up lines that I purchased uncovered...but that's just me.

More pics and updates on the swap!

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

Dave's coming to town, so hes gonna help me finish wiring it up, then begins the building of the exhaust and IC piping.

Comment

Nice!

MOSI Race Dynamics

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
                              Oh, yeah, heard of that...I thoguht you meant dangerous as it'd slice your tire or some wack idea like that.
                              That too. It happened to charles. I saw it with my own eyes. It rubbed against his wheel and wore off the metal jacket, penetrated the rubber hose and his brake fluid leaked out. I forgot exactly why it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                                That too. It happened to charles. I saw it with my own eyes. It rubbed against his wheel and wore off the metal jacket, penetrated the rubber hose and his brake fluid leaked out. I forgot exactly why it happened.

lol, damn.... I got mine pretty well pulled back, but I'll slap on a zip tie or something just to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X