X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 323GT-R
    those things thrive on boost...
    and lag
    91 323 GTX @ 16psi, 5 speed || December 07 R.O.T.M.
    Powered by MegaSquirt I PCB3, Tuned by Lex

More Information

Comment

The best GTX I have seen on a dyno was running 12psi. 230HP on a conservative dyno, and a flat 230lb/ft of torque from below 3000 to over 5000 rpm. With a decent tune, 12psi is all you need, any more just kills the turbo quicker.

I don't understand the obsession with trying to run small turbos at higher and higher levels of boost???? If you want to run a lot of boost, get something like a big T3/4 hybrid, those things thrive on boost...

I just want to know why my boost is falling off ... I'd like to be able to maintain it at 14. More precisely, I want to know if this is caused by my small exhaust or a leak somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
        What BOV do you run in your setup? Perhaps mine is leaking - I have the stock GTX one.
        Stock. No problems so far.

Comment

The best GTX I have seen on a dyno was running 12psi. 230HP on a conservative dyno, and a flat 230lb/ft of torque from below 3000 to over 5000 rpm. With a decent tune, 12psi is all you need, any more just kills the turbo quicker.
          For me it is hard to believe those numbers at 12 psi with the stock GTX turbo and accessories (IC, BOV, etc) Where I live I know people that makes BPT swaps using the GTX harness and JDM ECU and just to make sure with VP 100 unleaded octane gas. They make less whp at 12 psi that I am with pump gas. And I am using N/A ECU.

So I ask that whp that your claiming is with other mods or stock?

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaTGTS
            For me it is hard to believe those numbers at 12 psi with the stock GTX turbo and accessories (IC, BOV, etc) Where I live I know people that makes BPT swaps using the GTX harness and JDM ECU and just to make sure with VP 100 unleaded octane gas. They make less whp at 12 psi that I am with pump gas. And I am using N/A ECU.

So I ask that whp that your claiming is with other mods or stock?
            If you spent alot of dyno time and got it well tuned you could possibly see ~230 range on 12 psi.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Stock JDM GTX ECU, 2.5 inch exhaust and an open filter, and like D323 says, a bit of time playing on the dyno. The GTX ECU seems to be pretty well mapped for a stock engine from the factory, so long as you don't try to push it and end up with boost cut all the time. I would say I have driven maybe 10 JDM GTX's and most of them would only hold 12psi at red line., so I wouldn't be worried about yours, Lex.

BTW, I have a dyno sheet somehere for a bone stock JDM GTX that I owned about 5 years ago, 164HP.
              www.323gtx.co.uk
              www.323gtr.net

Comment

Stock JDM GTX ECU, 2.5 inch exhaust and an open filter, and like D323 says, a bit of time playing on the dyno. The GTX ECU seems to be pretty well mapped for a stock engine from the factory, so long as you don't try to push it and end up with boost cut all the time. I would say I have driven maybe 10 JDM GTX's and most of them would only hold 12psi at red line., so I wouldn't be worried about yours, Lex.

BTW, I have a dyno sheet somehere for a bone stock JDM GTX that I owned about 5 years ago, 164HP.

That is great info ... and in that case I don't understand claims of holding 15, even 20 psi to redline on the VJ20

So, what did you tune on the dyno to get 230 hp to the wheels out of that JDM GTX - the VAF?

My goal is 200whp and I would be happy with that. I am going to install a 3 inch exhaust shortly ... so hopefully that will get me there.

Comment

Didn't see this thread earlier. Use a MAP for the TPS signal to the SAFC. That way it will tune the car off of that instead.

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
                  Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                    That is great info ... and in that case I don't understand claims of holding 15, even 20 psi to redline on the VJ20

So, what did you tune on the dyno to get 230 hp to the wheels out of that JDM GTX - the VAF?

My goal is 200whp and I would be happy with that. I am going to install a 3 inch exhaust shortly ... so hopefully that will get me there.
                    I want to know too.

Comment

Working...
                    X