GTR motor swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StealthStyle
    well i didn't do a hack job on it, i just cut what needed to be swiched over, not all of the wire on each plug.

i'm gonna solder everything back to how it was before i sell it.
    Cool, well let me know when you want to sell.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Update:

Right now i'm thinking of putting the stock harness back in, putting in the stock ecu, but also using the gtr ecu at the same time.

I think all i will need to do is cut off the injector wires from the n/a harness and let the gtr ecu take care of that. then just split up all the inputs between both ecus (water temp, tps, etc). That way the n/a ecu thinks its still runing the car, but it really isnt. And the gtr ecu will take care of the engine and the n/a ecu will take care of the cooling fan, a/c, gauge cluster, and all the other accesories. I'll have to run some extra wires for stuff like the knock control box and others, but it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard, especially after the gtr harness wiring experiment.

Comment

Its good to hear that the engine is running fine. Have fun.

From an electronics standpoint though (I don't do engine swaps) make sure you're not loading down the inputs when you split them. You may need a buffer.

Comment

are you still interested in selling the GTR VAF?? if so im interested

Comment

i probably will once i throw the megasquirt on there.

but anyway,

I started putting on all the bp stuff on the gtr motor, the water sensor, throttle body, vaf, injectors and injector wiring.

But it doesn't seem to want to start. There is no sign of combustion (i would know if there was, its got open dump pipe right now). There is spark (feels like static shock i found out), there is fuel pressure as well. So i guess the injectors are not working for some reason. Now does anyone know whether the two plugs at the end of the injector wiring need to be hooked up for the injectors to work? I know one of the plugs is for VICS, but not sure what the other does.

Any ideas?

Comment

Whatever you do, dont play guess and check, i did that in my 2nd gen and ended up buying 2 or 3 ecus. : P
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StealthStyle
                i probably will once i throw the megasquirt on there.

but anyway,

I started putting on all the bp stuff on the gtr motor, the water sensor, throttle body, vaf, injectors and injector wiring.

But it doesn't seem to want to start. There is no sign of combustion (i would know if there was, its got open dump pipe right now). There is spark (feels like static shock i found out), there is fuel pressure as well. So i guess the injectors are not working for some reason. Now does anyone know whether the two plugs at the end of the injector wiring need to be hooked up for the injectors to work? I know one of the plugs is for VICS, but not sure what the other does.

Any ideas?

this is a dumb one but check anyway...is the ECU bolted down? if not then it wont fire i only suggest this cuz i did it w/ the BP in mine
                "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

the gtr harness has a resistor pack. just like the dsm's do. swapping out the gtr harness for the na harness you'd need gtx injectors or rx7 460 low impedence injectors to supply enough fuel for the boost you'll be making on the vj23. just because you have the gtr ecu hooked into the na harness doesn't mean it will control the injectors. it needs the resistor pack(box). as far as the two solenoids at the end of the injector harness. the one for vics needs to be plugged in only if you'll be running vics. the other needs to be plugged in for the fpr.

Comment

sorry, forgot to mention i am running the n/a harness with the n/a ecu, and the n/a injectors.

will try bolting down the ecu (i will slap myself if thats what it really is).

Comment

it doesn't matter if you ecu is bolted down or not. doesn't affect if it works or not.
                      so just remind me why would you want to run the Na injectors and components on a gtr setup.
                      if there is one thing with people boosting their cars these days it's things like this i don't get. you got a whole front clip. why would you go back and even try to run the na components on it. you'll be running your injectors at maximum efficiency before you'll know it. deto will easily become your friend. if you don't have money to do a thorough setup why buy all this stuff and end up ruining a rare motor over a very silly decision as this. you are expecting the na ecu to control the gtr motor with the amount of boost it creates efficiently? even if it's stock boost.
                      Last edited by popsicle; 09-30-2005, 10:26 AM.

Comment

^^ Im with popsicle on this one .... you have the front clip!!

Comment

let me explain myself, here is what I plan to do

1. Get it running on the N/a stuff (because I want stuff like cruise control and dash gauges to actually work).
                          2. Use megasquirt to manage the engine (putting back in the gtr injectors, knock sensor, etc.)
                          3. Let the stock ecu still control the other non-engine stuff
                          4. be happy that i can now boost all i want and still have the stock accessories working.

i dont plan on hitting a single pound of boost until the megasquirt us in and i put back the larger injectors.

EDIT: i feel like such a ****ing idiot. sometimes the simple **** is what gets you.

so i told you guys i had fuel pressure right? well i checked it between the fuel filter and rail, and it was fine. it wasn't until earlier that i thought maybe something wasn't hooked up right.

well turns out i put the fuel lines on switched, so the injectors were not getting fuel. switched em back, and it fired right up.

some days....
                          Last edited by StealthStyle; 09-30-2005, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X