v6 swap, axle doesn't fit!!! >:-o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did you get anything figured out yet?
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

not yet i parked it for a while, just kinda tired and out of extra money to finish the project. i got a used knock sensor out of one at a junkyard, and it still throws a cel right upon startup. the only other thing i can think of is there is a wiring problem somewhere in the main harness, or maybe a missing ground???

Comment

The only time I got a KL to backfire is when I didn't have the plug wires in the right order on the disty.

Definitely check your grounds too - which harness are you using? The Probe or the MX3?

What year Probe engine are your running?
        '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
        '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
        10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
        490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

its a 92/5 (don't remember) mx3 harness, 93 ford probe engine ecu, i got a new knock sensor and still running like sh*t drove it around, a flash of cel, pulled the codes, got a code 4, cam/crank sensor the one in the (brand new) distributor..

Comment

i see you in sac, you can always come check it out in person lol.

Comment

Yeah, I might have to check it out - what did you do about the speedo cable? The mx3 tranny that I have has the electric speedo sensor. Will the mechanical gear drop in there? I'd rather not have to put in the Probe cluster & wiring if I don't have to.
              '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
              '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
              10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
              490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                Yeah, I might have to check it out - what did you do about the speedo cable? The mx3 tranny that I have has the electric speedo sensor. Will the mechanical gear drop in there? I'd rather not have to put in the Probe cluster & wiring if I don't have to.
                i dropped my protege gear in the mx3 tranny and it worked fine... it wouldnt screw down, but it just sat in there..

Comment

well the protege i have was an auto and the gear was way smaller so i went out to the junkyard and found one in a mercury capri turbo, doesn't bolt down prob same as all mazda manual trans. but it works. i still have to get the mx3 spindles before i can drive it. still having some axle bind on the driverside w/ the lx hub/spindle.

Comment

Originally posted by sacv6 View Post
                    well the protege i have was an auto and the gear was way smaller so i went out to the junkyard and found one in a mercury capri turbo, doesn't bolt down prob same as all mazda manual trans. but it works. i still have to get the mx3 spindles before i can drive it. still having some axle bind on the driverside w/ the lx hub/spindle.

if that gs spindle, fixes ur binding issue, than i will finallyunderstand why i didnt have tat binding problem..

Comment

well i went to the junkyard pulled the hubs put everything back together and when i went to put the axle on it binded again!!!!!! so i went back to autozone, mixed and matched axles galore, the one i got from the jumkyard didn't work, the two i got from autozone didn't work, the one that cam w the transmission didn't work. figured it out!!!!! tried a couple different axles the probe one was prob 1/16 smaller but that wasn't enough!!! so they were out of rebuilt axles for me to compare to, they pulled a NEW axle for a mx3 and !@#$ it was about 1/2 shorter?!?! weird, can't explain it just happy i found the problem

Comment

did u try to get the gs axles in the 323 hubs? and it didnt work?

or are u using the gs hubs?

Comment

Ok so here's the deal about the kia axles. My bud down in florida is doing a de swap with mx3 tranni. He called yesterday and said that those axles do not work.
                          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

i ran into this problem with the original dx hubs, thinking that was the problem i switched to lx hubs & brakes. still problem, it was binding so bad the strut wouldn't even get close to the hub to bolt it up. then i installed mx3 lower control arms, and it extended the hub position by approx. 1.5" the strut now bolted up, but you could tell the axle was bottomed out, when driving it, it was still binding. so i went to the junkyard and got mx3 hubs, and imo they are exactly the same as lx hubs, i compared them side by side and visually they are the same, one difference is the slider on the caliper has offset bolts on the mx3 and symetrical bolts on the protege lx. i am currently running protege calipers on mx3 hubs, but they could just as well be protege hubs. just too laxy to take it all back apart. the hub of the mx3 and the protege sit in the same position aka the binding of the axle. the control arms are a must though. and thanks to my NEW not rebuilt axle i know have a v6 protege....something is still wrong though, no power getting a code 4 (crank sensor/cam sensor, (threw all data its in the distr))

Comment

thats VERY strange. So you're basically saying re-manned axles are to long, and OEM Mazda axles are the right length?

What was the total length of the proper axle?

JACK.
                              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

not too sure on the actual length of the axle, i fig i wouldn't run into any problems. so i just kinda threw it all together. i think its autozone that just have bad parts. the new axle that i got threw them, came from another source. and the distributor i got from them is what i think is bad. i was on probetalk.com and read a thread on distri. saying if you can move the connector that is in/on/coming out of the distrtibutor. it is bad. well the distributor did that from day one..... also found a thread on there saying the dist. from autozone is !@#$%. prob going to take it back, and exchange it for another one. if that ione is a no go, im going to return it and go elsewhere.

oh on the axles...sorry went off topic. the kia axles won't work, they have the wrong spline count/length of the trans input side. you have to run a v6 variant on the v6 trans. the 4 cyl axles don't line up properly.

Comment

Working...
                                X