This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job on the quarter miles times.
    Any pictures with the rear spoiler I sold you.

Comment

Haha, strange you should mention that, I just rattle canned it this afternoon, I'll install it this weekend along with the LED upper piece.

The 1/4 video I have is in car, nothing exciting :D
      '90 Mazda 323 - V6 KLDE, supercharged, right-hand drive, build log
      '93 Ford Probe GT - a few mods...
      10.24 @ 139.5 mph [16 psi] - Timeslip
      490whp, 447 wtq @ 20psi - Dyno sheet

Comment

post the 1/4 vid

DO IT
        DO IT
        94 323 hatch klze 13.0@101mph Slicks
        91 protege klze 12.9@103mph slicks

Comment

Some more things -

First I had to raise the front end a bit so I could get to drive on my driveway (car was too low for the steep angle). I took some Probe GT/MX6 coilovers and used them in front. The springs are 400lb/in, which is fine with the slightly heavier V6. The BG has the upper strut bearing built into the upper spring hat, so I just added a separate Probe upper strut bearing to fit between the spring top hat and the upper strut mount. Fit was perfect, performance is very good.

Cut Jamex Spring vs. coilover spring with top hat:

Coilover perch installed:

Assembly installed in front:

I left the strut perches in place because there is no need to go lower or else I'd have been back where I started with the ride height. Currently the coilover perch is lowered all the way. If I cut the strut perch and lower the coilover silver mount on the welds, another 2-3" of lowering is possible. Maybe when I get taller tires (should really have 205/50 instead of the 205/40) to match the MX3 OEM gear ratios.

The rear springs remain the red ones as the rear ride height is fine.
          New stance:

Last weekend I finally had a chance to sand the GTX spoilers and rattlecan them red (they were white). The car will eventually receive proper body work and paint, but for now this will have to do.

Really like how it's changed the car's personality. With painted JDM bumpers, the look will eventually be complete, although that's not on my list of things to do any time soon.
          Last edited by Dan [Sac]; 04-16-2008, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Dont forget the front and rear jdm bumpers
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

he said with painted jdm bumpers Chris stop drinking haha.

Looks good Dan! Love it!!!

What are you doing with your old Jamex front springs?

JACK.
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                he said with painted jdm bumpers Chris stop drinking haha.

Looks good Dan! Love it!!!

What are you doing with your old Jamex front springs?

JACK.
                Opps lol. No drinky on weekdays.....It's just old age.
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Well this week will mark the conclusion of this project as she will be delivered to a new owner on Friday.

The bonus - she is now 100% 50-state CARB and smog-legal as I went through all the hoops and got the swap legalized and legit.

A couple of words about that - the state smog referee (this applies to CA, your state may differ, check first) does not accept hybrid engines, so I had to put the KL03 manifold back on. Basically I said all the parts came from a 1993 Mazda mx-6 V6, and I had to get all parts to match that. They have the AllData printouts where they check the manifolds, computer, vacuum diagrams, everything. I had to ditch the 93 Probe computer and find a 93 MX6 computer because it has a different serial # on it (both were for 5-sp, CA emissions vehicles). So make sure that all the parts are from the same car (or type of car). The wiring harness from the MX3 is sufficiently identical to an MX6 harness that it won't be discernible.

Bottom line - be patient and thorough. It took me 3 tries to get everything right, but in the end it all worked out. When I build my next one it will be much easier to get it approved the first time as now I know what I need to know.

Here is a link I found useful for the process:
                  DONT WORRY, THEY AREN'T THAT BAD! Due to some misinformation, and exaggeration; people across the country think the California style smog laws are the end of engine swaps. Even in California, many automotive enthusiasts believe it is against the law to perform engine swaps. The basic intent of the California engine cha

Comment

damn cant believe you sold it already lots of nice work even if it was basic as you call it. it was very clean and detailed
                    Check out the Pics
                    sigpic
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
                    Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

Sad to see it go so soon who's the proud owner?
                      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

wow, that didn't last long at all!

JACK.
                        -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                        http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                          I like PS generally, but I want this car to scoot well (extra weight, parasitic loss), and I had no problems with the manual steering before. Of course it's a bit heavier now and it turns 205s instead of the 175s, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Even the drag car turning 9in slicks at 6psi air pressure isn't too bad as long as I'm moving, but I would never try to parallel park that
                          Are the steering rack and tie rod ends stock 323 parts??
                          (on your 323 KLZE project).
                          Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, as far as I remember I used the stock 323 parts and had to extend the outer tie rods out (threading them out to make up for the wider mx3 parts).

On another note, I picked up an MX3 v6 today. My 323-ZE (v. 2.0) is about to get launched into the stratosphere....

(just gotta find a decently priced BG now).

Comment

What computer did you use? (On the KLZE 323). I have been pokin' around the net and I plan to use the MX-3 computer with a Probinator chip. My 323 is as basic as they come, but this new one I picked up has a few options including power steering. Do you think I can run the MX-3 P/S pump with the 323 rack? I looked up the power racks for the MX-3 and the 323. (They have different part numbers). Not sure how different they really are though?? I have not managed to pick-up a MX-3 yet, so I will have to compare the P/S pumps. The P/S is really over kill on a 323, but I plan to keep it since it is there, and since it will have wider tires and a V6 under the hood soon. Did you use the MX-3 master / booster /proportioning valve in the brake swap??

Good luck with your new project, I will be sure to check it out. I picked-up Project 323 KLZE on Friday. I can't wait to rip it apart LOL

I have to find a Mx-3 V6. They come up really cheap all the time, but you have to be a Jedi to dial the phone quick enough before they are sold. Think I lost out on this one

Last edited by IMACHU2; 09-27-2008, 11:47 PM. Reason: me stoopid
                              Dominic Toretto rocks a MaZda and his cell phone number starts in "(323)"

My Work Log:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46003

sigpic

Comment

^^^ haha i was thinking about that one lol. oh well no money right now anyways

Comment

Working...
                                X