Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BPT swap into BF GTX - can the BPT ECU and wiring harness be used ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPT swap into BF GTX - can the BPT ECU and wiring harness be used ?

any reason why most BPT swaps into a BF GTX uses the BF wiring harness/sensors/ECU ? I am hoping to do the swap with a BPT wiring harness / ECU and splicing it into BF chassis harness. any pitfalls with this approach ?

Is it possible to drop the entire complete engine / tranny / center diff/ turbo assembly from the top or do they have to go in one at a time ?

Also looking for suggestions on what oils to use in a bg awd tranny and center diff.
    Last edited by madspeed1; 05-07-2015, 10:26 AM.

Originally posted by madspeed1 View Post
    any reason why most BPT swaps into a BF GTX uses the BF wiring harness/sensors/ECU ? I am hoping to do the swap with a BPT wiring harness / ECU and splicing it into BF chassis harness. any pitfalls with this approach ?

Is it possible to drop the entire complete engine / tranny / center diff/ turbo assembly from the top or do they have to go in one at a time ?

Also looking for suggestions on what oils to use in a bg awd tranny and center diff.
    Can't answer the ECU question, but as for the install. It's easier if you can do lift the motor/trans from under the car then to go in from the top. Due to how the centerdiff pokes out you have to really angle and play with the assembly or have to do it in pieces. Where if you lift the car into the air and roll the complete assembly under, it's goes together like butter.

How I did my B6t reinstall.
    --put car on jackstands
    -- use engine lift to raise front end of the car up much higher.
    --rolled full assembly under the car(used a HF dolly)
    --set car back onto jackstand.
    --lifted full motor asssmbly via engine lift..
    --bolt in
    --drink favor drink
    --profit.

Comment

i don't see why it couldn't be done/used with a bpt ecu
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Just get out the schematics and work out the wiring. If you run the bpt off of the B6t ecu you can get the 16 psi with the chip. Not gonna get that with the bpt ecu. They are basically the same motor with the same sensors and being as these things run rich you could likely use the B6t injectors as well. Run the swap on a dedicated mega squirt and solve all your problems.

Comment

I used the entire BPT harness and got rid of all the gewgaws and vacuum leaks mounted to the enginebay side of the firewall.
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

There's a wiring guide on the Yahoo! gtx group for the bpt>bf install.

The BPT ecu can't be chipped, so you're stuck running boost levels just below boost cut.
            The B6T ECU can be chipped for higher boost and rev limits. It's cheap since everything's already there.

It's not ideal, but it works, you can make some good power with it, it's a great stopgap until you go Megasquirt or find another solution.
            1991 Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT AWD Bastardization/conversion
            1991 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo AWD

Creator of the B6T Rocketchip
            www.werbatfik.com

Comment

thanks everyone for the inputs.....

Any idea what the stock part # the GTR clutch kit is ? Or an exedy / sachs stock replacement part #...

Comment

Any good clutch kit in the flavor of your liking for a 1.8L Mazda. Go aftermarket for the choices for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                  Any good clutch kit in the flavor of your liking for a 1.8L Mazda. Go aftermarket for the choices for your needs.
                  thank you sir. So no difference between the awd and fwd clutch kits ?

Comment

There are iirc some small flywheel step differences. Corksport did much research and found that a 1.8 miata flywheel, with a '93 MX3 clutch, works perfectly behind a b pt/gtr block and the bpt/gtr awd trans. I had that setup in the gtx rallycar and both Proteges, right up til the rally pro got its GT4 swap.
                    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
                    X