94 protege manual conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

94 protege manual conversion

Hello, i just finished roughly converting an automatic 94 protege dx into a manual. I have not done this before, and would like to know if there is anything we have to remove/change in the car to get it to a true manual (neutral safety switch, etc.)

It's been a while since I did that, but I left out the clutch safety interlock on purpose. Can't stand those things. Don't remember if I did anything special with the neutral switch or not. It doesn't seem to do all that much anyway. Do you have cruise control?

You may want to remove the park interlock from the ignition switch. I did. Wasn't sure if it would give me my key back otherwise.
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

in the manual gearbox the neutral switch is not a safety feature at all, it is merely an idle up input to the ecu.
      It's purpose was a pleasantry factor by design in OEM fashion when you go to change gears from a stop there is a little bit of a rpm bump to smooth out the transition and make the car feel a little nicer.
      half the time it works- the other half not so much. and most people aren't that kind in their driving style where they would even notice it.
      its not a requirement. but it can be used in aftermarket ecu swaps as an additional input for whatever your heart can think up.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Oh yeah, I used to know that. Man, I have been gone a long time.
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Comment

probably forgot because its so easy to miss.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Probably. I sure have missed these cars. I really need a place with a garage. Still need to E53 swap my gray car. :/ It's been years.

Hey Sly, if you have cruise, there is a switch on the clutch pedal to interrupt that. Mounted just like the brake light switch. If you have it, that's a consideration.

Sorry about hijacking your thread.
            1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
            ├┼┤
            2 4 R

Comment

Working...
            X