Goin' Megasquirt (My progress thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT RUNS!!!

I put new plugs in and swapped out my stock CAS for a 4-2 wheel CAS and she fired right up. It's still not perfect, but at least it running.

Vid...
    94 Mazda Protege running megasquirt 1 V3.0 pcb with Msns-e. Just idling. I have a few more bugs to work out.

Sorry it's crapy I took it with my phone. I'll have some better ones up soon.

And I found out that you NEED 4-2 wheel CAS the stock CAS will NOT work for wasted spark.

I hope to have out on it first drive on Sunday after I load up Lex's newest maps (thanks again) I'll have some pics up soon too.

Last edited by photoeye0; 02-01-2008, 05:18 PM.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
    98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Congrats Rick! I always doubted that wasted spark could work on a stock CAS - it could in theory if the ECU changed output signals after 2 fires and used the single slot wheel as the start of ignition.

Now you will have the fun of tuning

Comment

i received no exciting phone call glad you got it up & running rick.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Dood I'm sorry I totally forgot to call you.

Comment

its ok i'll forgive you this time :p
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Alright I have it driving, but it's still a little off. For some reason I couldn't load your maps Lex. I might be my pos laptop or something else...I don't know. It idles OK (thank god I don't have to pass SMOG), but a steady tps around 2000 rpms it chugs. I'm thinking it might be in the tune, since Lex's map would load I used some turboed miata guy's. And at full tps full boost it pull like crazy, but there again is a slight miss at higher rpms. I don't think it's knock and I don't think the spark is being blown out. I also think this is in the tune...we'll see. My fiancee and I are going to go back out tonight and see if we can't get it running a little more smoothly.

Comment

fiance??? your getting married rick??

Comment

have lex take screen shots of his tune and just change all the values your self if you cant load it

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                    fiance??? your getting married rick??

April 19

She doesn't normally come along to the meet ups and stuff. You've meet her before, when we got those tail light off my 323.

We got the car running pretty good. It's pig rich under boost, but I still want to get all the huckups out be for I worry about optimizing the A/F's.

Originally posted by smoke187 View Post
                    have lex take screen shots of his tune and just change all the values your self if you cant load it
                    That's a good idea...Lex could you please?

Comment

Sure rick, I can send you an export of the spark and fuel tables.

Also, do a datalog with the wideband and send it over. I can give you an idea of some improvements to make.

Comment

Ok, but I'm still not getting WB readings in megatune. I'll have more time to work on it a little tomorrow night and Thursday.

Comment

Just a little up date. I now have wideband readings in megatune. I'm an idoit and forgot the hookup the sig wire to the MS.

I also got it running a little better. I didn't do my research cuz the 4-2 wheel I got was from a 4g61 and I thought it was the same as a miata, BUT the 4g61 must spins backwards or something. I had to flip the wheel over, now some of the miss firing stopped and I can run a normal timing map.

I'll have some more updates tonight.

And I would give Lex a HUGE thanks for putting up with all my annoying e-mails.
                          THANKS

Comment

No problem dude, glad I could help.

The wheel does not necessarily turn one way or another ... one thing that you will have to do before playing with any timing maps at all is set the base timing offset so that it coincides with the actual timing of the motor. The offset on the 4g63 can be significantly different from a Miata - I always thought you had a Miata CAS wheel in there. Good job on being innovative though!

Comment

I looked a miata wheel and if you flip the 4g61 wheel that I have over they line right up.

Here's a pix of the wheel just for reference. The second iner slot is smaller, and the way I had it setting the cas was so that every other rotation the ms wouldn't "understand" that it was one rpm till a little later than the previous one.

Comment

Sorry for the daly in updates. We had another cold snap. It up to -6 right now and that's as high as it has been for a few day. I did find out that my cold start PW's aren't right. I could not get the car to start yesterday. I would fire for a few seconds once or twice and even at WOT the car would die. I tryed for an hour or so and nothing. I'm going to give it a shot after work today hopefully it'll pop. I also can track down that misfire. Can igniters go bad slowly? I think I'm going to try one from a turboed DSM and a newer TPS, I still have 2 VB921's but I'm sure how to mount them yet. What else could cause a miss, I put new plugs and wires in.

Comment

Working...
                                X